1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The push for edible vaccines

Discussion in 'Issues Around the World' started by Swamp Fox, Jan 4, 2003.

1. Swamp Fox

Swamp Fox Veteran Member

Let's face it - bioengineering is here to stay, and there will be positive benefits, like edible vaccines. The result, in a century, is that life on this planet will be completely transformed, so that it would no longer be the same as a few centuries before.

Comments?

Edible vaccines can save lives in the Third World

2. Biker

Biker Administrator Staff Member

As the article states, we already have corn and soybeans that are modified to resist pests. Roundup ready beans are a huge cost saver to the farmer (speak from experience on that one). It seems logical to take it one step further and actually prevent human disease.

And to those that scream and holler about the effects of genetically altered food, you've been eating modifed soybeans for many years. Haven't seen any research yet that shows it to be harmful.

3. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

Actually, this discussion stems back to when I raised this same issue before.

I came in to the discourse with preconceived notions about it. Biker and a few others set my ass straight.

There still might be some fall out, but you know what? I can't prove it now and hence won't bother throwing around idealogies.

4. Swamp Fox

Swamp Fox Veteran Member

Leon,

You're against genetic engineering? I'm surprised - I would have thought that you would be in favor of progress.

5. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

I wasn't at first. Then I started reading about the issue and had to retract a bit. I guess, right now, I am on the fence.

6. Techie2000

Techie2000 The crowd would sing:

I still can't stand the thought of eating Hepititus B...:-/

Course I hate needles just as much...