1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Privilege of Government

Discussion in 'Society and Culture' started by ShinyTop, Jan 24, 2014.

1. ShinyTop

ShinyTop I know what is right or wrong!

If I were to get mesothelioma from asbestos or other diseases from exposure at the work place I would be entitled to compensation. I would not have to be disabled or unable to hold any job to be compensated. Yet a soldier can be exposed to Agent Orange, have two diseases from that exposure and only be compensated if they are unable to work. There is no compensation for the actual damage done or failure to observe reasonable precautions.

Even with proof of the diseases and the government acknowledgment that they were caused by Agent Orange the process for any disability takes 6-18 months.

Between the above and the rapid erosion of retirement benefits I would find it very difficult to encourage any young person to pursue the military as a career. Our government's memory is very short.

2. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

They just started going after retirement. Trust me, it's going to get worse by the time I get to collect. But man, did I dish out mucho money in the work years for that privilege for the government not have anything by the time I will need it.

3. Allene

Allene Registered User

The whole military debacle makes me angry, and so does what is happening to retirement. Like you, Leon, I put plenty of money into the system since the 1960s and trusted the government to be honorable in using those funds for the designated cause. I feel sorry for younger people!

ethics likes this.
  4. Copzilla

Copzilla dangerous animal Staff Member

Young people are voting for their own reaming. They're voting Democrat for the most part, and they're the ones doing the damage. I'm becoming very jaded at the college age crowd, and thinking they deserve every bit of garbage they bring down on themselves.