1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Politics of Enforcing DWY

Discussion in 'Issues Around the World' started by ethics, Dec 9, 2002.

1. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

DWY= Driving While Yakking.

Across the United States and around the world, politicos have been jumping on anti-cell-phone bandwagons. The predominant approach is to ban most handheld cell-phone use by drivers, despite laws -- often already on the books -- banning any form of distracted driving.

Now I've always believed this, but this Wired article just proves my point of Interestingly, evidence exists that hands-free cell-phone conversations in vehicles produce about the same level of distraction to drivers as handheld cell phones.

2. RRedline

RRedline Veteran MMember

There is just some weird phenomenon that occus when one is driving and talking with someone who is not in the car with him or her. I don't know what it is exactly, but when I try to talk with someone on a cell phone while driving, I find myself paying much less attention to my driving than I do while talking to someone who is in the back seat, completely out of my sight. Perhaps it is something similar to the way you tune out all of your senses to concentrate on your hearing to try to understand the person on the other end better? Unfortunately, it is not good to tune out any of your senses while driving. Talking on a phone is just one of many distractions while driving, and any one of them can cause an accident.

3. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

Bingo... I think that's it. :(

4. mikeky

mikeky Member

Is talking on a cell phone distracting? Yes. So is eating, changing radio stations, etc. But let's face it, driving under most circumstances does not require rocket science intensive concentration, and most can talk and drive at the same time. Why ban phones, etc., when drivers that have accidents can be held personally responsible for any accidents they have as a result of a distraction?

5. dainbramage

dainbramage Land Of The Lost

I think that when people go for their license, a psychological profile should also be done. This way, it can be determined which driver would be more likely easily distracted, not just by cell phones.
    I take public transportation and I do not know how many times the bus driver has had to slam on his brakes because of some driver in a car is talking on their cell phone.

6. mikepd

mikepd Veteran Member

Eating? Drinking? Personal grooming? Entertainment? Talking?

Distractions...

COMMON SENSE.

All to sadly lacking today in driving and many other activities of modern life.

Yes, one can multi-task while doing certain forms of driving in certain places at certain times under certain conditions. *NOT ALL THE TIME*

COMMON SENSE

Sadly lacking.