1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The plague, you say?

Discussion in 'Issues Around the World' started by -Ken, Nov 7, 2002.

1. -Ken

-Ken Guest

According to this story, a couple from New Mexico who were visiting New
    York are being treated for bubonic plague. This is the first case of
    the deadly bacterial disease in the city in more than 100 years.

Now how do you suppose that happened?

2. wapu

wapu Veteran Member

I think they were bitten by infected fleas that gnawed on an infected rat in New Mexico. I think it would be kingd of cool to have an "I Survived the Plague" T-Shirt.

wapu

3. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

Infections happen in the US. In NYC, we were fortunate that none of the travelers happaned to have the Black Plague.

Of course, deep down in me, there's a little inner voice that tells me there's more to this.

4. drslash

drslash It's all about the beer

There are, however, 40 to 50 cases of bubonic plague in this country every year. Bubonic plague is not contaigous from human to human. There may be more to this if we see more of this. I believe it is an isolated case as of now.

5. -Ken

-Ken Guest

"There are, however, 40 to 50 cases of bubonic plague in this country every year."

Really, I thought it had been pretty much eradicated like smallpox.
    Thanks for the great info.

6. tke711

tke711 Oink Oink Staff Member

I was quite surprised as well Ken when I read basically the same article on Fox News. I too was under the impression that it had be eradicated.

7. Sunriser13

Sunriser13 Knee Deep in Paradise

8. -Ken

-Ken Guest

Thanks Sunriser,

From her link:<small>bold added my me.</small>
    "Most human cases in the United States occur in two regions:
    1) northern New Mexico, northern Arizona, and southern
    Colorado; and 2) California, southern Oregon, and far
    western Nevada."

Damn, that's not much fun.

9. Coot

Coot Passed Away January 7, 2010

I own property in New Mexico, near the Mescalero Reservation and Den of the Mountain Gods. There are probably more than the cases officially logged in New Mexico, with most of them being either on one the Navajo rez's and some on the Mescalero Rez itself. Isolation and close proximity to livestock along with poor flea control is at the crux of it.

10. ditch

ditch Downunder Member

"Really, I thought it had been pretty much eradicated like smallpox.
    Thanks for the great info."

Smallpox has been eradictaed Ken as you say but four countries supposedly have "stocks" or strains of the disease. France, North Korea, Russia and our friend in Iraq. In the latter case if that is actually fact or not is possibly something the weapons inspections might reveal.