1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Next Big Threat to Consumer Brands (Yes, Amazon’s Behind It)

Discussion in 'Economy' started by Susan Addams, Mar 2, 2018.

1. Susan Addams

Susan Addams Unregistered User

Makers of biggest household staples have little control over where Amazon’s virtual assistant Alexa sends consumers:

Do you really see anything wrong with this? Haven't we been herded like cattle all the time anyway?

Just noting, you can find products on your own. Use of voice search is a personal choice. If you like it why not use it?

I'm not interested in voice search. I prefer text mode. Isn't that biased too?

2. MemphisMark

MemphisMark Old School Conservative

This is what happens when you let someone else choose for you.

3. Susan Addams

I research what I buy, on or off Amazon. I read product reviews particularly like for my two Sonos systems. (Actually one full 5.1 system and one full system cut in half and dispersed between den and bedroom. 3.1 system in den, rear speakers = stereo in bedroom.) Then I listened to it at Best Buy before buying at Amazon. I started with the bar, then added the sub, then added the rear, then added the den system, then added the bedroom system.

I don't let robots pick out my stuff. I guess I'm not a sheeple.

4. MemphisMark

Actually, those Makers do have control. It's called "paying to get my products on the top of the listings."

5. Susan Addams

The article I read stated that they don't know what Alexa's criteria are.

6. MemphisMark

They probably don't. A statistical analysis of a couple hundred units can reveal who is the highest on the list, but not the algorithm that got it there.

What *I* am saying is, The manufacturers can go to Amazon and offer whatever incentives to have Amazon adjust said algorithm to have their products offered/selected more often.

7. Susan Addams

Are you just making this stuff up or do you have a source you can cite? Oh, that's right. I forgot. Never believe the first thing you say. Are you telling me to not believe the first thing but believe the second thing, or are you telling me to stop believing the minute you open your mouth and simply ignore you until your utterance is over?

The article I read says that the criteria that Amazon uses to calculate their best buys is not known to the public. That seems entirely reasonable because it seems to me that Amazon would prefer to keep this data as a trade secret. For one, it allows them negotiation room, same principle as not showing your cards until your opponent pays to see them. And second, it would probably annoy the other sellers to reveal deals with their competitors to the public.

Oh Mark, let me know when you want your goat back. It seems I get your goat every time I reply to one of your posts! :p