1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The new Rome

Discussion in 'Issues Around the World' started by Swamp Fox, Jan 24, 2003.

1. Swamp Fox

Swamp Fox Veteran Member

America had two eras when its power stood absolute - post 1945, and post 1989. In this sense, as I had always said, it is the new Rome, the master of civilization, with the traditional European balance of power totally tilted in its favor.

You know, as hegemons go, this one is not so bad - its system is democratic, and it allows other countries to buy and sell in its affluent markets, and so become affluent. And it does not enslave or exterminate other peoples.

I must say that, as a Canadian, I am envious of my neighbours, because I wish my country had such power - or, more precisely, I wish I was part of the administration that had such power.

Comments?

The new Rome

2. Steve

Steve Is that it, then?

Wow. Stanley, first, thank you for that. Wow. I'm actually overwhelmed at that article.

It would indeed appear as if we're finding ourselves to be, de facto, an empire.

3. tke711

tke711 Oink Oink Staff Member

Thanks for sharing that article. It was a great read!

4. dmdvt

dmdvt Guest

He is going to kill us all.

5. mikepd

mikepd Veteran Member

Please clarify 'he'. As in President Bush? If so reasoning instead of one liners. One man may set the tone but not the policy in this country. It is just a bit more complex than that.

6. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

On top of that, it's not as if the military might didn't exist during Clinton years.

7. Sierra Mike

Sierra Mike The Dude Abides Staff Member

I can confirm the military did indeed exist during at least the first term of Clinton's presidency. I was still getting my paychecks, and Bubba's picture was always at the top of every chain of command display.

SM

8. Sierra Mike

And "he" might be whom? Bush? Hussein? Jong Il? Bin Laden? The Tastee-Freeze Man? God?

And how will "he" kill us? With laughter? Tears? Really, really noxious farts?

SM

9. Advocat

Advocat Viral Memes a Speciality Staff Member

Now here's an interesting question...

If, as so many have said, that the US hegemon is an "accidental empire", <b>is</b> this a good thing?

Seems to me it would be much better for a country to plan to create an empire (thus having an encompassing plan, political overview, and long-term strategy to oversee and control said empire), than to "stumble" onto it accidentally and not:
    1) want to admit it <b>was</b> and empire, and
    2) know what to do with it, or how to work with it.

The US theory of empire started with Manifest Destiny in the 1840s... why the resistance to admitting that the US has always had imperial dreams?

Manifest Destiny Introduction - PBS

<small>edit: extra material</small>

10. ethics

Imperial dreams?

My friends, if US had imperial dreams, English would not have been a second language for me.

11. Sierra Mike

Well, keep working on it, you freaking Ukie...your fresh-off-the-boat accent is annoying. :haha:

SM

12. ethics

LOL! Bastard!

13. bruzzes

bruzzes Truthslayer

Nice link Advocate!

The article and History of the Mexican War and the secession of Texas along with the "uprising" in California and the subsequent occupation of Arizona and New Mexico areas was indeed a manifest destiny made by an imperialist government.

So few Americans have spent anytime perusing that historical timeline and prefer to confine their whole interest on one battle: the Alamo.

The difference in the now and then is quite stark. In the Mexican war it was outright occupation and control by the United States, eerily similar to Iraq's conquest of Kuwait. As for the present, the 752 military installations in more than 130 countries was a result of a timeline that encompassed over a hundred years in the making.

"Remember the Maine" and the Spanish-American war was another outright grab for power by a somewhat aggressive nation.

The details behind both actions does show an imperialistic nature inherit in the emergence of this now all-powerful superpower albeit dismissed or overlooked in our past history books. Whether this was planned as the makings of an empire still remains unclear.

As for your second premise, that this present power structure is an empire that slowly assembled itself without purpose or intent is a little harder to ascertain. I do not believe it was deliberate but an accumulation of military sites and countries that we have been freely given access to over a period of decades to help defend said countries or areas of regional control and have re-negotiated again and again to remain.

Much food for thought, and perhaps more discourse is needed in this topic to glean the overview.

14. ethics

That link don't work anymore. :(

15. Advocat

It's the PBS website and it's Friday night... I suspect they're just overloaded.

I'll see if I can find any other sources.

16. Advocat

17. Sierra Mike

Wah...next they'll be holding a telethon to upgrade their measly 386 server.

SM

18. Swamp Fox

Swamp Fox Veteran Member

Pardon my egocentrism, but ...

... when I read the "he's going to kill us all", I thought the "he" referred to me, as in "Stanley's great links are going to kill us with his great insights."

I guess I was sadly mistaken. ;)

19. mikeky

mikeky Member

Re: Pardon my egocentrism, but ...

LOL, I thought the same thing initially; you gotta watch those shifty Canadians, you know. ;)