1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Most Important Games Ever Made

Discussion in 'PC/Console Gaming' started by ethics, Mar 31, 2006.

1. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

What was the game for you that turned you to be a geek (or someone you came out to be)?

For me, it was this one that turned me over to RPG genre, and certainly Sci-Fi, Fantasy freak.

Do you know what it is?

2. Brazbit

Brazbit Nah... It can't be.

Yes, at least I am 90% sure anyway, and that was also the first known game with an easter egg programmed in it.

For me it was Dragon's Lair. That was the game that proved computers did not have to be limited to text and/or crude graphics even if it did take another 12 years for computer graphics to come to the point of being able to replicate that quality on their own. Dragon's Lair taught me to think outside of the box when it came to what was possible with computers.

3. ethics

DL was the shiznit back when it came out at the arcades. It was the biggest draw out of anything there at the time. Would always have a crap load of teens hanging out by the game, either playing or watching others play.

4. Brazbit

And a whopping $0.50 a game as well. Unheard of! Needless to say I spent most of my time watching others play.

5. MNeedham73

MNeedham73 Well-Known Member

Hmm...interesting thread, Leon. After a bit of digging into the back of my mind (such as it is), I came up with the following. I was mainly hooked on simulator and RPG style games when I was kid:

PC: The Bard's Tale (the original), F-19 Stealth Fighter

Console: Legend of Zelda (original NES), Pick Axe Pete (Magnavox Odyssey 2 - if anyone remembers that thing)

Arcade: Zaxxon, Spy Hunter

6. tke711

tke711 Oink Oink Staff Member

The first PC game that got me hooked was Civilizations.

Before PC's, it was Donkey Kong on the old Coleco systems, or even maybe just plain old Pong before them all. ;)

7. ethics

Oh this was way after for me. I guess my age is playing a role here but both Bard's Tale and F-19 came way later (I would actually say Red Baron was the first flight Sim game that had me gaping).

The staple for RPG for me was the Ultima seres by Richard Garriott. I remember I quit my job of delivering Pizza when Ultima IV came out. :)

8. MNeedham73

If you're talking about the wire-frame Red Baron, I wasn't much into that one. The wire-frame Star Trek and Star Wars on the other hand...I thought those two rocked :)

9. ethics

http://www.dosgames.com/ss.php?filename=redbaron.gif

10. MNeedham73

Ah ok, not the wire-frame arcade version.

EDIT: Actually Leon, dosgames.com shows that game coming out in '91. F-19 and Bard's Tale came out in the mid/late 80's, I think.

11. ethics

You know what's weird. Looking at that screenshot it looks like CRAP! But if I try to recall how it was when I played it, it seemed AWESOME and graphics kicked ass!

Perception trumps facts. ;)

12. MNeedham73

Found a screenshot of F-19...ah the memories :)

[​IMG]

13. ethics

14. Andy

Andy ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Same one for me!

I knew it very well as "Adventure"

And I think you can still play it here. :happy:(turn off adblock)

15. ethics

DUDE! YOU JUST MADE MY DAY!!!

16. Brazbit

some people are so easy to please....

17. Andy

Andy ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

No queue either...:haha:

18. Brazbit

Oh yeah queues... I almost forgot what those were.

19. Copzilla

Copzilla dangerous animal Staff Member

Wizardry, on an Apple II. GAWD, I was enthralled!

20. Piobaireachd

Piobaireachd Full Member

Zork and a few scavenger hunts on the Internet before it was public and commercial (and it was text only. I miss Veronica, Archie, Jughead, and Gopher).