1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Media, Terrorism and Operation Enduring Freedom

Discussion in 'Issues Around the World' started by Advocat, Nov 25, 2002.

1. Advocat

Advocat Viral Memes a Speciality Staff Member

A surprisingly unbiased view of the media during Operation Enduring Freedom; including articles, reports, media actions and activities. Source: Media Research Center. Gives an interesting (and occasionally humorous) viewpoint on the media from both inside and outside the profession.
    http://www.mediaresearch.org/terrorism/

For entertainment value, be sure to check:
    Notable Quotables: Outrageous Quotes from Reporters and Journalists
    http://www.mediaresearch.org/terrorism/welcome.asp#NOTABLE QUOTABLES

2. Sierra Mike

Sierra Mike The Dude Abides Staff Member

Damn, some of this stuff burns my ass.

I'm extremely repelled by the reports that American food drops during the operaton were "doing more harm than good." That's just an exemplary misrepresentation of the facts.

Also a cute nugget was the Jennings/Rather bit from 1989, where they said they would allow an enemy unit they were travelling with to ambush US troops. I can't stomach that...and as the USMC colonel at the end of the bit says:

And of course, the colonel is right. It would be like me refusing to go pick them up in an MH-60 if I had the capability, which I would never do. I'd feel compelled to buzz in for a scoop and scoot, but they have no problems watching a bunch of our guys get killed.

My own experience with the press has been extremely limited, but they have never, ever, impressed me--not the ones I've met in person, or the ones I've seen on TV or read in the papers. Most certainly, when pontificating on matters of war, I've found they are almost always 99% wrong.

I'm sure I'll find much more to grouse about as I continue to scope out the rest of this site. :)

SM