1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Media is trying to start a race war in this country!

Discussion in 'Issues Around the World' started by Techie2000, Jan 25, 2003.

1. Techie2000

Techie2000 The crowd would sing:

Anyone else notice for the past week or two it seems there has been a lot more coverage about race and affirmative action on many news programs/talk shows?

2. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

Media is bored as hell. They latch on at anything these days.

3. Robert Harris

Robert Harris Passed Away Aug. 19, 2006

I do not think this is just the media stirring the pot., The pot is bubbling and the media is just covering the story.

There is a case on affirmative action on the docket of the Supreme Court, U of Mich, and the administration has taken a position on it, and Powell and Rice have been involved in advising the prez. Other university folks have been making publioc comments. Lots of activity, I think. It's not something just made up by the media.

A good sex scandal would probably push this stuff to the back pages, though. Why don't we cook one up? I am willing to participate as long as I get to name my collaboraters. :)

4. BigDeputyDog

BigDeputyDog Straight Shootin Admin Staff Member

[shdw]BREAKING NEWS[/shdw]

Robert Harris, rabid left winger and outspoken critic of anything to the right of Phil Donahue, was caught today in a public bath house engaged in illicit activities with 2 female members of the Global Affairs Forum, a 2 headed marital aid and a goat... Film at 11...

rofl

BDD... :{)

5. Robert Harris

That was no goat. That was Steve with his head down, trying to butt in on the action. I may believe in redistribution of income and wealth, but I draw the line at women. There, what's mine is mine.

6. martissimo

martissimo Veteran Member

The supreme court case and Bush's direct comments on it have certainly elevated the amount of attention to this issue, but it goes even further than that. Powell for instance has actually stated that he disagrees with the president's opinion, Rice who helped draft the statement that was sent to the court was actually concerned that she was being misintrepeted as being <I>totally</I> in line with Bush's views, so the day after sending the opinion in Bush conceded to her the opportunity to make a statement softening her personal stance.

The only reason the media is covering this so much, is beacuase it truly is newsworthy, and as you said...when there is nothing truly sensational to broadcast they may as well fall back on real news ;)

7. joseftu

joseftu ORIGINAL Pomp-Dumpster

I did notice the increase in coverage, but I don't think of it as "trying to start a race war."
    I thought of it as Black History Month starting a week or so early.
    But maybe it's really just that there's such a contrast with the "normal" pattern of almost <b>no</b> coverage of these issues.

8. mikepd

mikepd Veteran Member

I agree with Joseftu. The reason it seems so over the top is that it usually is so far under the rug. Affirmative action has always been a touchy subject and it goes far beyond just race. Gender, age, are just two categories that also play the affirmative action card. Society wants fairness in a world that is inherently unfair. A hard thing to do. Are all students fit for college level work? If colleges did not have to spend resources on bringing students up to speed with remedial courses they should have gotten earlier, could not that money have been better spent on specific college level needs? There are always ramifications when trying to allocate finite resources. There are never any easy answers and someone is always going to be holding the short stick.

9. Robert Harris

Of course another possible reason for the increased coverage is that it may be a liberal media plot to drive conservatives up the wall. :)

10. Paladin

Paladin Have Gun -- Will Travel

Affirmative action is not about fairness. It is about being unfair in the opposite direction of a previous unfairness. If we actually wanted fairness we would strictly monitor and enforce anti-discrimination laws.

On the other hand, we want to reserve the right to refuse service to anyone -- we do not want to have to explain each and every time, to some overpaid government flunky, why we feel we have a right to refuse service to any particular person.

It's your standard Catch-22. Or as Bart Simpson said: "Damned if you do and damned if you don't."

11. Misu

Misu Hey, I saw that.

Perhaps it had something to do with the fact that last monday was MLK day, and the week before it was MLK's birthday...?