1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Man in the High Castle

Discussion in 'Society and Culture' started by SixofNine, Jan 20, 2015.

1. SixofNine

SixofNine Jedi Sage Staff Member

Based on the novel of the same name by Philip K. Dick, this is a pilot episode on Amazon. The biggest name I recognize is Ridley Scott as executive producer. Becasue it's called a "pilot," I assume that picking it up as a series is a possibility.

The Man in the High Castle never lets us believe its alternate-history nightmare | The Verge

Excerpts from article:

2. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

Ridley Scott was also the guy behind the movie Blade Runner, which was also a Dick book (Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep).
  3. SixofNine

Amazon picked it up as a series.

ethics likes this.
  4. SixofNine

Season 3 trailer!

5. Andy

6. rockotman

rockotman Blown on the steel breeze

Can't wait for season 3 to start!
  7. Arc

Arc Full Member

I enjoyed the first two seasons despite what was a slow start for me. I enjoyed "Goliath" even more. Trouble is with these series originals there is just way too much time between seasons and in some cases, one is left hanging on whether or not there is going to be another season.
  8. SixofNine

In some cases I've gone back and watched the final episode of the previous season just to remind myself. :)
  9. rockotman

rockotman Blown on the steel breeze

Vikings on THC is another series that is "too long" between seasons.

However, I will watch when it returns early next year...

Edit: just saw that Vikings returns 11/29. The wait is almost over!
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2017
  10. Arc

Arc Full Member

I just read that Amazon will be shooting a second season of "Goliath." Of several outstanding other series such as "The Man in the High Castle", I enjoyed Goliath the most. The first couple of episodes in season one start slow but then the story takes off and builds continuously to the end.

The first season ends with a trial and the closing arguments by both sides to the jury though dramatically shorter than they would be in real life are nevertheless gems. I tried to find them on YouTube but no joy. As stand-alone comments, they are masterful and leave the viewer completely unsure what the jury's verdict will be.

A bonus for me is the the filming location almost entirely in Santa Monica and Venice are specifically in areas that I see and move within three or four times a week. It literally feels like I'm watching an entire series taking place in my neighborhood.
  11. Andy

Along the lines of "must see Internet TV" if you haven't watched Fortitude on Amazon Prime, you are sorely missing out on one of the best murder/mysteries to come along in a while, along the same plot-lines as Fortitude was an Icelandic production dubbed in English subtitles called Trapped, staring the big guy who was the helicopter pilot in Walter Mitty along with True Detective and other stuff, Ólafur Darri Ólafsson.
    Allene likes this.
  12. Allene

Allene Registered User

I am a big fan of mysteries, especially British ones. Fortitude is now on my Netflix queue. Thanks for the tip. Trapped isn't on Netflix yet. I'll watch for it. Another good one with a sheriff as a lead is Longmire. I'm in the 5th and latest available season now. It's set in Wyoming.
  13. Arc

Arc Full Member

Fortitude certainly gets my thumbs up. I really like both seasons and look forward to the third.