1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Joy of AIDS?

Discussion in 'Issues Around the World' started by Robert Harris, Jan 22, 2003.

1. Robert Harris

Robert Harris Passed Away Aug. 19, 2006

Interesting new wrinkle on AIDS transmission. Some of it is intentional according to this story.

MAG: 25% OF NEW HIV-INFECTED GAY MEN SOUGHT OUT VIRUS, SAYS SAN FRAN HEALTH OFFICIAL

New ROLLING STONE Managing Editor Ed Needham is set to hit complete controversy with a 4-page report: "Bug Chasers: The Men Who Secretly Long To Be HIV+."

Filed by Greg Freeman, the shock story claims some men with HIV are deliberately having unprotected sex with those who want to be infected!

One sad passage captures a young man in New York City who wants to be infected:

"His eyes light up as he says that the actual moment of transmission, the instant he gets HIV, will be 'the most erotic thing I can imagine.'"

An infector is quoted as saying: "I'm murdering him in a sense, killing him slowly, and that's sort of, as sick as it sounds, exciting to me.

More: http://www.drudgereport.com/rr.htm

Interesting as it is, I find this story a bit disconcerting and I also wonder if this phenomenon is as widespread as claimed. Are there that many ssuicidally stupid people in the gay community? I don't know how reliable the source is -- I never have viewed Rolling Stone as being all that great. A cut better than the supermarket tabloids, perhaps but not sure how much of a cut better. Maybe I am wrong, though.

2. muddly

muddly Guest

That phenomenon is not new at all, although maybe it's becoming more "popular" now.. I can sort of understand it, though I can't say exactly why; it's not incomprehensible to me, anyway. It strikes me as similiar to junkies who prefer to share needles despite having clean ones available.

I don't think it's as simple as being suicidal or self-destructive... or even stupid. People feed their needs in strange ways, and sexual needs can get pretty strange. Other people's needs are always harder to understand than our own, no?

How well can any of us explain why certain things are erotic to us, and others not?

3. Robert Harris

Robert Harris Passed Away Aug. 19, 2006

I would argue that finding suicide erotic is quite bizarre, and not something to be expected from a significant share -- a claimed 25% here -- of any population. And to deliberately seek to acquire AIDS is suicidal given the state of treatment technology.

4. btdude

btdude Veteran Member

1. In my experience, and after losing 2 friends to AIDS, I can tell you that it is not commonplace for a gay man, or anyone (remember HIV/AIDS is not just for gay men anymore) to "seek out" the virus. Also, I know you know this, but just to clarify: HIV is the virus that causes AIDS. You do not just "get" AIDS.

2. I read that site's article. My thoughts were that in this time when treatments ARE advancing with new drug technology, what I do see in the gay community is that younger guys tend to feel omnipotent, and that they cannot be destroyed. There is now a drug (not real sure how effective it is) that claims to kill HIV the morning after having unprotected sex, or sharing a dirty needle. Anyway, with these components, new drugs, youth feeling indestructable, and therefore a willingness to be more casual, and yes, in my view stupid, I can see why more kids are being infected. NOw is not the time to let our guard down from this virus. NOw, more than ever it is important to educate our younger folks, and to remind adults of what the deal really is.

3. Lastly, the only other reason I can think that a person would seek this purposeful infection out, is because there may be some sort of "I have to have him, I can take all of him, If I let him give me ALL of him, then he will be mine forever. Again, not such a stretch when a young man is craving to have the attentions and affections of another older wiser guy. As to the person who is already infected: I can see a warped sense that he may be wanting to leave his legacy behind, and in some small way, allow the world to remember him. These are all just speculations on my part. Once I lost people to this horrible disease, I had to grow up a little bit, and get some education. I do not agree, however, that just because a person is infected with the HIV virus, that it is an automatic death sentence. It IS treatable, and manageable and people can prolong their lives, be quite productive and have very good quality in the that life. I will leave it at that.

5. cdw

cdw Ahhhh...the good life.

That is sick and disgusting. A very disturbed way of thinking to say the least. That goes for anyone trying to infect anyone else with a disease. Erotic? Exciting? Oh, give me a break.
    Not to mention the medical costs going up because these sicko's think this is a way to get their rocks off.

:mad:

6. RRedline

RRedline Veteran MMember

I find this absolutely disgusting. I am appalled that anyone would intentionally seek out a disease, especially one such as AIDS. I am equally appalled that some idiot would imply that as many as 25% of all men who recently acquired AIDS did so intentionally. This sounds like complete nonsense to me.

If I ever found out that a man that I was with was HIV+ and lied about it, I would beat the shit out of him. This is nothing to play around with, and any person who willingly has unprotected sex with someone they know to be HIV+ is a complete lunatic and needs psychological help.

7. ShinyTop

ShinyTop I know what is right or wrong!

Not mentioned in the article, but I have to wonder if there is not a certain hope that if enough people get AIDS it will get the funding it should have. If enough "straights" get the disease maybe they will feel threatened enough to support more funding of AIDS research.

I was very surprised during one thread on this subject to be lambasted when I suggested we should be finding a way to help Africa in fighting AIDS. Most who opposed my view were subscribing to the attitude that it was an African problem, not ours.

My position then and now is that this disease is still evolving. Maybe it might be easier to stop now that when it has evolved further. And then, my friends, consider this, what if it evolves into being transmitted through the air, by cough, by a sneeze. Consider the long incubation of this insidious disease the whole world could be infected before we knew it.

8. btdude

btdude Veteran Member

Two lovers watch the news, they've got more than love to lose
    As they lay there under cover, do they really know each other

There's a whisper in the air, don't you feel a little scared?
    The stakes are too high
    Some have even lost a friend, and we're nowhere near the end
    It doesn't help to moralize

Chorus:
    The search is not the same now, more than just a game now, love and let live
    It can thrill you - fulfil you, but lately it can kill you, love and let live
    A little information's not too much to give
    We've got to tell lovers how to love and let live

Do you think it over twice at the edge of paradise
    If you're not really sure, use and ounce of prevention
    'Cause there's still no cure

So you smile and say to me, 'it's not my responsibility'
    You better change your attitude
    Did you ask your lover who, who was there ahead of you?
    You need to know the truth

chorus

I have found the one for me, we share our love exclusively
    But we're all affected, 'cause we're all connected, we're a family

(Instrumental break)

(Love and let live, love and let live)

9. Misu

Misu Hey, I saw that.

Let me get this straight... People are intentionally infecting others with the virus... and the people they're infecting want to be infected...

Well then...

I do agree with Muddly, though - it's not something that's 'new' persay, in that there are people who get sexually aroused when playing with fire, so to speak. But it does seem to be 'new' in that a significant portion of a population is doing this.

Where did they get their figures from?

10. muddly

muddly Guest

Here is another article, which I think makes it easier to understand the "whys." (written almost 3 years ago... Rolling Stone ain't exactly cutting edge..)

http://www.alternativesmagazine.com/15/hill.html

11. btdude

btdude Veteran Member

good find, muddly.

12. Domh

Domh Full Member

Well, for everything that anybody considers sick or disgusting, there are at least TWO people who find it a major turn-on.

Humans are totally frelling weird.

13. btdude

btdude Veteran Member

I meant good find, in terms of providing a further explanation . . . .

14. muddly

muddly Guest

I thought that writer made some good points about how HIV is seen in a different perspective generally by the gay community than it is by society overall... it stands to reason that there will be a (small) proportion of gay men for whom becoming HIV+ translates into belonging. It's like the ultimate, tragic downside to how well (in general) HIV+ gays are accepted and treated in their community.

It has been going on a while. The first time I heard of it was maybe... 5 years ago? The Rolling Stone claim of 25% of new infections sounds pretty high. But who knows? Given that the risk of infection can be drastically reduced if one is diligent about taking all precautions, you gotta wonder about ANY new infections in this day and age... maybe more than we think are a milder form of "bug chasing"... something closer to "don't really want HIV but don't really care."

It's too bad... it's understandable that the gay community wouldn't want either the practice or the prevalence of it to be common knowledge... they've had enough problems overcoming the perceptions of some people that AIDS was "what they deserved" without having gay men - even in very small numbers - intentionally contracting HIV. Pretty destructive to any campaigns for more AIDS research/funding, (or even tolerance and acceptance) I bet.