1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The government's inability to properly address security

Discussion in 'Bits & Bytes' started by Biker, Dec 30, 2016.

1. Biker

Biker Administrator Staff Member

This popped up in my feed yesterday and the government's inability to get serious about security is mind boggling.

Recommendations? How about some hard and fast rules regarding security on devices that affect public safety? Vehicles and medical devices are just two things that don't have hard requirements regarding security and they should. Worst case scenarios would create the type of panic that a terrorist would just love to be responsible for. And what do you think would happen if someone figured a way to plant a time bomb in a pacemaker, requiring a hefty ransom payment in order to provide the code to deactivate the malware?

Industry needs to be forced to take security seriously before releasing products that can be accessed remotely. Accountability is non-existent and the government is negligent by not coming out with concrete rules and requirements.
  2. MemphisMark

MemphisMark Old school Conservative

A while back I listened to a podcast that listed the "10 most hackable cars" and the Jeep Cherokee was on the top of the list. Hackers were able to gain control of multiple systems (windshield wipers, brakes, etc.) through IP (IOW, I can take control of any Cherokee in the country sitting here) by a security hole in the radio's cell service, which is how it gets its Internet to broadcast on the car's Wi-Fi.
  3. Biker

Biker Administrator Staff Member

FDA confirms that St. Jude's cardiac devices can be hacked

And how do you update this device?

Mind boggling and frightening as all get out.