1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The good ole NEW INS

Discussion in 'Issues Around the World' started by cdw, Jan 31, 2003.

1. cdw

cdw Ahhhh...the good life.

This is really distressing although not at all surprising. For all the hoopla being made about the department and changes, it appears that one of the changes that was NOT made is calling a spade a spade. The inspectors get to make use their OWN judgement? Regardless of the papers? Oh pooh ot Mr Ridge.
    Quick making excuses and DO THE RIGHT THING. It's OUR lives he's messin' with!

A spokesman for Mr. Ridge, Gordon Johndroe, said finding that Americans had crossed the border using false documents did not necessarily suggest a huge security problem, although the situation would be reviewed "to determine if there is a need for adjustment."

"I.N.S. inspectors at the borders are trained and permitted to use their judgment about U.S. citizens returning to this country" from Canada, Mexico and other countries in the Western Hemisphere, Mr. Johndroe said. "And in this case, the inspectors determined that these citizens presented no harm or threat to the United States."

same old story

2. Biker

Biker Administrator Staff Member

Border crossings can be a nightmare some days with the traffic that crosses back and forth. There have been days when I've sat at the border for over 2 hours waiting to cross due to the traffic volume. How does one make an on the spot determination that a document is false? Sure, they could tie their computer system into every other system in the US, then everyone would be screaming about invasion of privacy. The problem isn't as easy to fix as many believe.

3. cdw

cdw Ahhhh...the good life.

There must be *something* that can be done, or it really is true that all this homeland security is just bs.
    How about we stop issuing the matricula cards for a start? That should slow some of the volume.
    I don't begin to assert that I have the answers, but giving people a false sense of security, IMO is definately NOT the answer.
    The agents said they used ID that any bartender could tell was false.
    Would the same excuse be acceptable at the airports? WTF?
    Let people scream invasion of privacy. Let people scream clean this up, it's taking too long. I dont' care. Our safety is worth your inconvenience.
    And, how is it invasion of privacy to tie into computers and check legitimacy?