1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Germans are coming...

Discussion in 'Economy' started by ethics, May 9, 2018.

1. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

2. dsl987

dsl987 Member

I watch the whole renewable energy and electric car scene very closely, which may seem surprising given that I've worked in the oil industry for 40 years, but I find the whole transition to be fascinating.
    Internal Combustion Engine are doomed, maybe not totally for another 25 years, but it's inevitable and the only question is how long that can hang on.
    A couple of things that will slow down the transition is the fight over a universal charging standard/connector, and more public charging spots, especially for those living in apartments.

ethics likes this.
  3. ethics

I wonder if better energy transfer would have been made we wouldn't even be talking about getting away from oil.

4. Arc

Arc Full Member

When it comes to oil as a necessary product source society and media are in total denial. We are globally so far past peak oil from the totality of known usable sources it's crazy!

5. ethics

Shale oil changed more than alternative energy -- SO FAR. But the movement in alternative energy (like putting solar panels happening all over NJ) is saving Americans a lot of money.

6. dsl987

dsl987 Member

Before we start putting solar panels everywhere, home owners really need to be encouraged to insulate their houses better. In fact the Government should mandate much better insulation, because it pays off in a huge way.

The house i'm in now is fairly well insulated for a home built in 1999, and we've upgraded it with more attic insulation, better roof and new AC units, but it's still an energy hog and if you leave the AC off even for a little while in Summer the house quickly becomes unbearable.

The new house I'm building is almost done and we put a lot of insulation in it. To give you an example I went up there yesterday evening at 5pm and it was still 96F outside. The house had been sitting all day in the baking sun, with all the windows and doors shut and there is no power in the house yet, so no AC or fans. It was a pretty comfortable 82F inside, and with some ceilings fans going you could probably be content even if the AC failed.

So while solar panels are great, they are still pretty expensive even with a 30% Federal Tax credit. You can avoid a lot of heating and cooling costs by maximizing insulation first, and then doing solar.

Attached Files:

ethics likes this.
  7. MemphisMark

MemphisMark Old School Conservative

We might be past the peak of easily obtainable oil, however as the prices rise, more oil fields become commercially viable.

The Bitumen-containing "oil sands" of Canada is an example. While Iraq might be able to pump a barrel of oil out of the ground for $1, it costs (about) $40 to extract a barrel of usable crude from Canada.

There are hundreds of marginal wells all over the US that get turned on or off according to the price of crude. A given well might only produce a single barrel of oil a day, however as long as that oil can be sold for more than the cost of electricity, equipment maintenance, profit, etc., that well will run.

Another example is fracking. this did not become profitable until the price of Natural gas rose above the production costs to extract it.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2018
    Allene likes this.