1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Future of PC Gaming

Discussion in 'PC/Console Gaming' started by ethics, Oct 31, 2002.

1. EMIG

EMIG Yup

Another recovered EQer here. Lately I'm playing BF 1942, but I'm a little tired of it ATM.

What's Age of Mythology like? Semi-stragedy like Age of Empires?

I've also purchased Combat Mission: Barbarossa to Berlin, but haven't played it yet. I skimmed the manual, and quite frankly, I'm intimidated.

2. mikeky

mikeky Member

Thanks to Domhain and Midranger I'm now hooked on chess again (why else would I be up at 1:30AM!). I hate you guys. ;)

3. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

I think this is their latest AoE game. Just different settings I would gather, and different time.

I have to scoff at having Zeus throwing lightening bolts but I guess I have to see the whole game in entirety in order to make a fair judgement.

4. RRedline

RRedline Veteran MMember

I wouldn't say it's JUST the next Age game. You make choices DURING the game that affect what technologies and units will be available to you later in the game. If your opponent starts with say, Hades, as his primary deity, you don't know what his tech tree is for the later stages of the game because they have not been defined yet. I used to counter civs all the time in AoE. If my opponent was the Brits, I had a pretty good idea that I needed to concentrate on skirmishers to counter long range archers. If my opponent was the Persians, I knew to prepare for an army of war elephants by preparing some pikemen and onagers.

Age of Mythology is more than just prettier graphics and being set in a different time period. Download the demo and see for yourself. :)

5. ethics

Whoa... Dynamic choices? I think *I* need to check this out.

The demo is like 350MEGS though!!! "_

6. RRedline

RRedline Veteran MMember

In order to advance to your second age of development, you must choose from one of two deities to worship. After you progress to that age, you gain abilities from that god. You can advance three times, so you end up choosing a primary god and then three secondary ones. Also, you get a one-time use god power at the beginning of the game depending on your primary deity. For example, Zeus gives you a lightning bolt which instantly kills ANY unit. Then each secondary god gives you a one-time use power.

Stone is finally gone(thank you!) from this one, and a new resource called Favor is added. If your civ is greek, you gain favor by sending villagers to worship at temples. If you are Egyptian, you build up to five unique shrines to generate a stream of favor. If you are Norse, you gain favor by fighting your opponents. Favor is used mainly for creating mythological units(Medusae, Mummies, Fire Giants, etc.) and summoning heros. There is no such thing as experience, so please no comparisons to Warcraft III. There are no RPG elements to AoM, thankfully. Also, some of the more powerful deity-specific upgrades require favor. Once you gain 100 favor, you can not get anymore until you use some up. The exception is if you worship Zeus, you can have up to 200.

Yeah, I know it's pretty big for a demo. If you liked the original Age games at all, you should really enjoy this one. I played some random multi-player games this evening, and I had a blast. It looks like the built-in online matchmaking part of the game is having some minor problems though. It took me several tries just to enter people's rooms in waiting. I'm pretty sure it's server code that needs tweaked and should be fixed soon , I'm sure.

Please check it out. It's worth the 350 MB download.

7. ethics

Will download the demo tomorrow. :)

And thanks for that write up. :)

8. Misu

Misu Hey, I saw that.

Ok, well I haven't dl'd it yet, but according to what Rredline just said about the game, I'm seeing it requires a lot of thinking....

I'm more a shoot'em up kind of gal - gimme a game that requires me to blow things up, and I'm hella happy. I don't know why I like WC3 so much - maybe it's because I'm in dire of need of a new shooter game. I'm hoping my husband will take pity on me this weekend and get me UT2k3 - doubt it, though. He just upgraded my cell phone and bought me a house... :(

9. ethics

You realize that you are a hot commodity in the gaming world dominated by men, don't you? I mean, go to any geekdom conferences and men will throw themselves at your feet.

Hmmm, I just got another idea for a prize giveway.

I've bought UT2003, but hate it. Not sure if I grew out of it or what but for some reason I still like the old one. I just need to think up a contest now. ;)

10. Misu

Misu Hey, I saw that.

1 - I will never go to a geekdom conference. There's nothing to confer about - they be geeks, yo. I'm a gamer chick - there's a difference ;)

2 - please please please oh please make it a contest on who can draw inside the lines the bestest, to ensure I win :)