1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Future of PC Gaming

Discussion in 'PC/Console Gaming' started by ethics, Oct 31, 2002.

1. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

GameSpy has two new articles up talking about the <a href="http://www.gamespy.com/futureofgaming/engines/">Future of PC Gaming.</a>

The first talks about the The Future of PC Game Engines, talking to Tim Sweeney, Chris Taylor, Stuart Moulder and others about everything from physics to lighting to AI. The second is an interview with Peter Molyneux about his areas of expertise and what lies ahead. The series will continue next month with a look at the Future of User Created Games and an interview with Warren Spector on PC Gaming's future.

We brushed against this topic in a few other unrealated threads. My main interest is what appeals to the people in this forum?

I love MMORPG like EQ and UO (before the Disney Trammel) but like to mix up the hours of fun with something like CS or UT2003.

2. ShinyTop

ShinyTop I know what is right or wrong!

Battlefield 1942 is awesome. My son is showming movies of custom scenes and vehicles users are making.

3. ethics

I loved the demo, but if the game is not filled with teamplayers (big key) it's not going anywhere.

Having said that, BF1942 is realistic down to the speeches. The Russians maps are awesome, and even has my home city battle of Kharkov. Katyusha's are right down to the rusty details on the pipes, as are the vehicles.

I own the game, but not sure if I can go back to playing it. I don't think the targeting of assault weapons was done right at all. :(

4. RRedline

RRedline Veteran MMember

I used to LOVE playing UO back in the day! I had so much fun, but it was too much. I voluntarily gave it up in exchange for some of my life back. I was in the last two stages of the EQ beta, and I even bought the game, but I decided all three times that it sucked compared to UO. UO was especially fun before OSI ruined it by making it Disneyland Online. I left around the time when it was almost impossible for a red to survive, even with help from friends. My guild and I used to love hunting out reds, but eventually there were almost none left due to ridiculous penalties.

I limit myself to finite strategy games like Warcraft III and Age of Empires II. I just got Age of Mythology today, and I have to say that I am extremely impressed with it so far. I already prefer it over Warcraft III which I felt was too much eye candy and not enough depth and strategy. I encourage anyone who likes RTS games to check out Age of Mythology(that means you, Misu).

I also enjoy the occasional random UT2003 online server. It is very entertaining and stress relieving to blow people's heads off in a virtual world. The flak cannon is loads of fun.

Doesn't anyone play chess anymore? It is a beautiful game.

5. jamming

jamming Banned

We (you and I) could play an online game in a thread and anyone who wants to follow along could with their own chessboard. As long as the know the Chess Grid System. WQB to WQK2 = White Queen's Bishop to White Queen's Knight second space from the back of the board as you face it. But we must commit to at least 3 turns a day.

6. Ugly

Ugly Fish is Brain Food

Working on a new rig to play. Better answers in a few weeks.
    Love the topic. :thumbsup:
    Ugly

7. ethics

Hmmm... I might infuse a few online games on this forum. :)

Yah, Rred, UO was kicking big time before intro to Trammel. EQ sucked in the beginning, but after a year, they finally started listening to players and it became a monstrosity it is today. For me, it was a drug almost, but, like you, I gave it up voluntarily.

I didn't even get their new expansion. :)

Trying out Dark Ages of Camelot now, but I hate seeing people bored with it already.

Asheron's Call 2 is coming out November 21st, I might give that a shot. And of course Shadowbane should be the game that will rule them all. :)

8. Misu

Misu Hey, I saw that.

I'm into shooting games - things like Unreal, Quake 2 (quake 3 sucked ass), Doom 2 (how I miss doom 2), Unreal Tourny, etc. I haven't yet gotten Unreal 2003 (I wasn't aware it was out already??), and the 1 and only RPG type game I've ever played and find addicting is Warcraft 3 - but I must state for the record that the game itself is BORING. I like to play mods of it, or specially designed maps with a purpose - such as Tower Defence (I am the Ark TD QUEEN, and am forming a band of female gamers online).

I need new games, though - I haven't gotten anything new since Warcraft 3, when I stupidly made my husband buy me my OWN copy because I thought he would play it more often - dumb move, and cost us $60 more, since that very week another game he loved came out and he hasn't played WC3 since.

9. Domh

Domh Full Member

Re: Re: The Future of PC Gaming

I play at least 1-3 games a day. Been a member of the Internet Chess Club, a pay server, since 1997.

http://www.chessclub.com

Chess is indeed art. I have been hardcore since I was a child.

Ethics, I said it before and I say it again - let have a GAMING forum!

;)

10. Sunriser13

Sunriser13 Knee Deep in Paradise

I haven't played chess in years - don't even own a set anymore after the folks that broke into my house last year decided they might get a dollar or two for it. It was a hand carved soapstone set with a leather board.

This discussion reminds me of a teacher in 2nd grade who challenged me after I mentioned I had beaten my father for the first time in chess. He told me that my dad had let me win, and I argued the point, asking him if he knew how to play. He claimed he did, quite well, so I asked for a chessboard. We played and I won in something like 8 moves. Needless to say, we didn't get along very well for the rest of the school year...

11. ethics

Re: Re: Re: The Future of PC Gaming

Might be fun to have actually. I know anyone and everyone plays something, even if it's just solitaire. ;)

12. ethics

Well, me too, actually. Although I stayed away from WC3 I am need of a new fix. There really isn't anything earth shattering out there, though, is there?

13. fritzmp

fritzmp Fire Fire For Effect

Well if you have an nVIDIA Gforce2 MX or better card and were ever thinking of trying Linux. You can down load the Live Evaluation Gentoo CD. It's 100 + megs and runs Linux off your CD and has the new UT 2003 demo. Just down load and burn the ISO. Boot the CD and read the instructions at boot. Also the menu is a right click on the blackbox desktop.

You are not installing Linux, it runs live off the CD.

Cool stuff. Gentoo Live eval

14. Misu

Misu Hey, I saw that.

I haven't seen anything that's worth the money NOR the download. Honestly, I could download tons of pirated games, but right now, there's CRAP. Nothing I'm into - I was thinking of checking out that Age of Mythology (sorry can't remember the name, even though it's been suggested oodles of times), but that would require me to pay for it - I can't seem to find a demo of it.

15. immortal one

immortal one 501st Geronimo

I had much enjoyment with Medal of Honor Allied Assault, but haven't played it at all since last winter.

16. ethics

Misu, Fileshack has it here. Let me know if you get it and how you like it.

17. ethics

Fun game! Certainly better targeting system than BF1942.

18. midranger4

midranger4 Banned

I'm still playing Return to Castle Wolfenstien (1st person shooter with Quake engine)as it is very well done. I'm on my final pass trying to be the game at its highest difficulty level.

Medal of Honor Allied Assault. I liked it alot. Hated the snipers.

BF1942. I have it, have only tinkered thus far. Will likely tackle it when I'm done with Return to Castle Wolfenstien.

I am a chess player and am overjoyed to see a few in this thread.

I used to play online at the zone? or something like that. Anyway I stopped because of the cheating that was going on.

I had one guy...he beat me like 8 times in a row over the course of a week...and I kept coming back for more.

Finally he says to me..."Your a persistent one and I must confess, I've been feeding your moves to Chessmaster in another window and using his counters on you".

Man was I pissed but at the same time felt a bit better knowing it wasn't a human trouncing my ass so readily.

19. RRedline

RRedline Veteran MMember

Re: Re: Re: The Future of PC Gaming

That's good to hear that a few others enjoy a game a chess(you too, jamming). I haven't been playing lately, but I played a lot when I was a work study in college(work was slow sometimes). I don't know how to rate myself, but I know I am better than anyone who doesn't take it seriously. I meant what I said when I used the word "beautiful." I remember during one of my games thinking that chess truly was an art. You have to play it long enough and strive to imprive before you can understand that statement. It just hit me in the face one day how insignificant my knowledge of the game really is. Even our most powerful computers have not solved the game yet(meaning every possible game can be "seen" by brute force computations, and the computer can not lose).

"Don't move until you see it..."

20. RRedline

RRedline Veteran MMember

Yes! It is wonderful!

I believe there is a large downloadable demo on Microsoft's site if you are interested in testing it out. I absolutely LOVE it so far! As I have stated many times already, I was very let down by Warcraft III. I will NEVER have high hopes for a title based solely on hype again. Please check it out, Misu. I hope you like it half as much as I do. I would post a link to some sites with links to the demo, but I am behind a corporate proxy and gaming sites are filtered. :)