1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The fix was in

Discussion in 'Society and Culture' started by MemphisMark, Dec 22, 2017.

1. MemphisMark

MemphisMark Old School Conservative

Okay, Memphis has General Nathan Bedford Forrest buried along Union Ave with his wife and horse in what was known as Forrest Park (named after his grandson Nathan the 3rd, a B-17 pilot KIA). He was moved there from Elmwood Cemetery in 1904. It was renamed a couple of years ago to "Health Sciences Park," and since this bullshit about throwing Confederate statues down the memory hole started, the Mayor and city council have been working to get rid of Forrest's statue.

Memphis has been petitioning without success the TN Historic Parks Commission to get rid of the statue.

6 months ago, a non-profit was formed by a city council member. Starting 4 months ago, legislation was introduced that would allow the city to transfer land designated as parks to private entities. They were also making legislation that allowed private entities to dispose of statues on their property as they please. Wednesday, the city attorney gave his final blessing to this travesty, the city council passed the legislation and the non-profit paid $1,000 each for two parks (the other one has a statue of Jefferson Davis) and both statues were gone by Midnight. The two properties located in downtown Memphis are each probably worth in the Millions.

The non-profit says "they will maintain the parks," however I'm putting money on the table that in less than 5 years this non-profit will fold and sell the land back to the city for at or near market value.

Thankfully, people are asking about the "Kosherness" (if that's a word) about this process. While it may have been legal, it wasn't "the right thing" by a long shot.

2. dsl987

dsl987 Member

Does this non profit happen to pay it's couple of employees exorbitant salaries, or have massive expenses?

3. MemphisMark

The local news outlets are still releasing stories on this.

All I know is a city council member formed this non-profit, then voted for the law to enable this to happen, then he voted for transferring the parks to his non-profit.

Looks like a pretty cut-and-dried case of conflict of interest to me.

4. Susan Addams

Susan Addams Unregistered User

The fix is in. They are re-writing history as we watch, changing our past to one more politically correct to them.

5. MemphisMark

Thread Rez. It seems lawmakers from other parts of Tennessee are not happy with Memphis' "sleight of hand."
    Mayor responds after Tennessee lawmakers punish Memphis for removing Confederate statues.

The State Legislature has voted to withhold $250,000 earmarked for some Memphis Bicentennial in 2019.

I love this part, because he's correct:

Frodo Lives, Allene and Susan Addams like this.
  6. Frodo Lives

Frodo Lives Luke, I am NOT your father!

Those who ignore history are doomed to repeat it, those who rewrite history doom others.

The major problem with politically correctness is who gets to choose what's PC and what isn't, and what their agenda really is.

Allene and Arc like this.
  7. Susan Addams

Susan Addams Unregistered User

I may have said I did some of my college work in San Diego, and they have a cross atop Mt. Soledad which overlooks San Diego from the northern end of S.D., just south of La Jolla. It is a very beautiful place where the entire city is arrayed in front of you, and the cross IIRC is about 50 feet tall, and is surrounded by placards honoring US military who gave their lives to defend their country.

The cross burners wanted the cross down but last time I checked the people who are in favor of preserving our history have the upper hand and the Mt. Soledad war memorial and cross are secure and likely to remain there for always.

It was one of my favorite places to visit and to enjoy California's most southern large city. Now that I have relocated to L.A. it's only a matter of time before I visit S.D. and my friends there, and once again see this beautiful vista. And of course their beaches are outstanding! The difference between SD and LA is that SD's beaches are more accessible. LA has good beaches too, if you can find a place to unfold a towel. Those who know keep driving north until they find a beach uncrowded enough to suit them.

I think there's also a cross problem in the Mojave Desert except while the case was being adjudicated somebody sneaked in and hacked the cross down, rendering the court case moot. Those people really anger me!

Last edited: Apr 18, 2018
    Allene likes this.
  8. cmhbob

cmhbob Did...did I do that? Staff Member

IIRC, there's a longish thread here about the Soledad cross.

9. Arc

Arc Full Member

Heh, heh. Long and so contentious that it even generated other threads including one specifically dedicated to accusing one of our former members as being a bigot.