1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The feminine impotence:made disease?

Discussion in 'Issues Around the World' started by claire, Jan 3, 2003.

1. claire

claire Registered User

2. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

I don't see a link for English. :(

3. cdw

cdw Ahhhh...the good life.

4. Coriolis

Coriolis Bob's your uncle

It's there (at least my browser showed one), and while the translation is a bit confusing, the basic message is that the pharmacuetical companies are apparently inventing female sexual dysfunction in order to sell more drugs to solve the alledged problems. While I'm not sure how to take this at face value, I'm also not surprised by the allegation -- drug companies, for the most part, form an evil, money grubbing industry that is concerned more about the bottom line than the health and welfare of the consumer. This is not true across the board though -- major advances in cancer drugs, for example, would not be available if it weren't for the financial might of the pharmacuetical industry.

5. ethics

Cor, what if in 50 years we find out this (and other links to drug companies) were true? It would go the same way as ciggies.

"Well, we had hints that it was bad, and we knew they were doing these things but now? Who cares?"

Heck, if I were a short term greedy CEO and had this venue of making more money. Why not?

P.S. I know this fits in to Conspiracy Theories (something I am not a fan of) but for the sake of argument...

6. Robert Harris

Robert Harris Passed Away Aug. 19, 2006

Scroll down to bottom of thepage and you find:

"Traduire cet article"

That means "translate this article" and there is a little French flag in front of it with an arrow pointing to a little English flag.

Geez, Leon -- you need a lot of guidance. (Do I have to tell you to click it?")

7. ethics

Claire, how credible is that French source?

8. cdw

cdw Ahhhh...the good life.

That is according to the reuters version.

9. ethics

Thanks Cyd.

10. Coriolis

Coriolis Bob's your uncle

You're right, and the truth would only be revealed after it was too late and real culprits are too old (or dead) to prosecute. The drug companies involved in the scandal would eventually succumb to time consuming and expensive litigation, cough up a billion or so in retribution, and be forced to further increase the costs of drug products to protect the bottom line.

11. claire

claire Registered User

Sorry Ethics I wrote clock on the flag instead of click on the flag down the page(edited now)But I see that Robert gave you already the answer.

12. Misu

Misu Hey, I saw that.

I don't know what to make of this. I was enrolled in a human sexuality course about 9 months ago, and what we learned was that many women (a good 40-something percent, in fact), go through a sort of sexual dysfunction in their later years. This was always thought of as 'normal', because sexuality was always related to youth and being young is related to being vibrant. Old people don't have sex because they're not young and vibrant.

However, it turns out it's not normal at all, and is caused by a combination of things - drastic change in hormone levels, depression (which many women undergo in their later years because of major life changes, such as menopause, children no longer needing them, change of life, etc), etc etc.

I don't know if to believe that drug companies 'created' this problem to sell more drugs, or if drug companies have realized that they can combat these problems through medication. I am finding that what I learn in school often contradicts what I read in newspapers and magazines and online.

13. Coot

Coot Passed Away January 7, 2010

Misu, you say that this is not normal, yet most of the causes for this you cite are normal life changes associated with aging.

As to the contradictions, get used to it. At the undergrad level, most curriculums are behind the times a bit. There is also a bias in what information is presented and just how it is presented. The absolute best thing you can come away from your college experience with is critical thinking and the questioning of sources. Well that and the career preparation that you inadvertently get in the classroom, where you recognize that there is oftentimes a correct answer or answers and then the answer the professor or boss wants.

This of course helps to set you on your way to becoming a professor or boss who swore in their younger years they would never do that ;) Which brings us full circle, as that is a natural part of aging that I hate and pisses me off when I catch myself at it. Now where's that damn pill?

Back to the topic. Decline of sexual desire is likely associated with age in women, else why would menopause happen in the first place? It may well have a cultural component also with respect to depression and the empty nest, but I doubt we have enough data to draw this conclusion as human life expectancy has only recently reached to the years we are now living to.

As to complicity on the part of the drug companies in 'manufacturing' a problem they can solve, I'd strongly doubt that. While corporate executives in any business must be clever to succeed, it has become abundantly apparent that they do not have to be particularly smart.