1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Euro is done

Discussion in 'Issues Around the World' started by ethics, May 14, 2010.

1. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

You are being sarcastic I hope. It's not just one country that's doing the QE's, it's the entire Euro block.

2. Arc

Arc Full Member

Sort of sarcastic. What's worse? The Central European Bank doing some QE or if the countries had kept their own currencies and each could do or not QE? Besides the direct financial impact what would be the fallout of bad blood between countries that did QE and those that strongly opposed it? As one unsophisticated in economics I think the old currency way v ECB Euro version would in the long run be more damaging in multiple ways besides just economic.

3. Pyrion

Pyrion Liquid Metal Nanomorph

Nah. Locally, the damage would be more extensive, but regionally it would remain contained to the deadbeat states and their immediate creditors. Instead we have the potential collapse of the entire Eurozone if just one member state defaults because regardless of the other member states' respective situations, due to the common currency, they all have a stake in it.

Funny thing is, if Greece still used the drachma, it would never have been allowed to borrow so much in the first place. Certainly not at the same rates as, say, France or Germany.

4. Pyrion

Bahahahaha!: Germany threatens war if the Euro fails; real news: Germany may be forced to put state assets up as collateral to sufficiently prop up the bailout fund, and Germany wants "permanent supervision" of Greece.

"Nobody should take for granted another 50 years of peace and prosperity in Europe. They are not for granted. That's why I say: If the euro fails, Europe fails."

I'm gonna have to stock up on popcorn soon, things are now starting to get interesting.

5. ethics

6. Pyrion

7. ethics

It didn't happen only because the Euroweenies pretended to do something. Like they had a plan.

Doubts Emerge After European Union’s Euro Deal - NYTimes.com

You know what's funny? How they, the Euroweenies bashed US for the housing crisis. I am not saying we didn't deserve the bashfest, I am saying clean up your own shit before you point fingers. But this was Euros, yeah...

8. Biker

Biker Administrator Staff Member

Interesting article in the Telegraph today.

Why it's time for Germany to leave the eurozone - Telegraph

I'd go further and say if Germany DID leave the Euro, it would be the beginning of the end with other countries following suit.

ethics likes this.
  9. Greg

Greg Full Member

Jeez, Germany is one of the strongest countries in the Euro zone economically speaking. If they pulled out that act alone might make the Euro implode.

Perhaps they should adopt Bitcoin as their currency! :D