1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The EL Moderator program.

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by -Ken, Dec 10, 2002.

1. -Ken

-Ken Guest

Wow, things have grown pretty quickly in the last couple of months.

As this was completely unanticipated, the position of EL Moderator has really been made obsolete.

We (the moderators) have been discussing the EL Moderator program and we were wondering how all of you feel about the idea of a floating Moderator? Is it something the site should keep? Are there people out there that can commit to the extra time required to be a moderator or now that we have several moderators, can we let the idea fade into the past?

We are all very interested in your responses. As you know, your opinions are what drive this site.

2. Coot

Coot Passed Away January 7, 2010

I for one am in favor of keeping it. I would like to see everyone take their go at it. Having done it, I can tell you that to do the job properly, you really have to take a step outside yourself. Logging in annonymously as EL Moderator tends to strip off the blinders and creates a sense of objectivity that I don't believe can be had or at least not as easily when your name is in bold. I think it is one of the best 'hidden' little features the site has to offer.

3. btdude

btdude Veteran Member

(get's can opener ready for the can of worms) LOL

Good idea in theory, but I don't believe that everyone in here has the objectivity required to be a floater. If this is where we go, that is cool with me, though I think maybe a questionnare is in order, sort of akin to what prospective jurors must go through, where one can be dismissed for cause. HEHE

4. jamming

jamming Banned

Well as one EL Moderator I think I did a pretty good job, can you pick out the time I was the moderator? Also it works well as it gives someone perspective of what is involved in being a moderator. I would do it again in the future. However, it did take a lot of time to do properly which makes the time limit a good thing. Sounds like the moderators are looking to expand their turf, the EL Moderator is a good idea and it should be left in the hands of Leon who has done an excellent job in picking them, coaching them, and in organizing this forum.

5. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

Actually, the issue was brought forth by me, and we discussed it amongst ourselves. Ken thought it was a good idea to ask others as to how they feel.

There is no "turf" to speak of, Jim, we are one and the same as the forum grows. We wanted to get some feedback on the program, nothing less and nothing more.

6. bruzzes

bruzzes Truthslayer

I am in favor of keeping it for the reasons both coot and jamming stated.

For some it would be a growing process where objectivity is required and therefore creates a new perspective.

Others may have never been given this type of authority ever before and is also a positive growth experiance.

Even though the workload may be hard, as in reading all the threads, we have reduced the need by self-moderating ourselves.

I see it as a positive.

7. ShinyTop

ShinyTop I know what is right or wrong!

I am for temporary mods with strong overlook by Ethics.

8. jamming

jamming Banned

Well, "Quit It!" If it ain't broke...ect. I think your time would be better spent figuring out a way for people to see which one of their posts get voted on.
    ;)

9. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

Let me just give everyone some feedback from my perspective on the progam and how I do not do much in the whole process.

The people who are picked start off slow. Trying to find out what it right, what is wrong, which thread CAN be moved, etc... I've yet to see one moderator go crazy or even come close to the "abuse" of anything.

The reason for the program was two-fold, and some of you already answered the few big benefits.

One, you get to understand the process and how hard and tricky it can be, since the variable we are dealing with is people with feelings. They also find out that there's nothing we hide from anyone as far as doing things on the forum. Sure mod forum need to be secret but that's for the sake of openly discussing a volatile issue, and I am sure any of you will understand the need for one.

Two, something happens to people after they mod. They become relaxed as a member. They begin to finally trust that something is not done behind their backs, that this forum is everything that we have stated it to be, an environment which is controlled by the environment, I.E. you. :)

The reason the issue came up in the first place is that I have to do some re-organizational stuff under the hood which would require hours of planning and doing. Without the EL Moderator (now renamed), it shaves some time for me. If people think it's a good thing, I don't mind spending the extra time.

Ken proposed the idea that since we want to be as open as we want with the members, why not just ask them. It's a reason why there's a need for moderators besides myself, since we are constantly checking our thoughts, plans, and ideas.

10. jamming

jamming Banned

Bah, I still think your out to get me. :_

11. mikepd

mikepd Veteran Member

We *know* we're out to get you. :_

Paranoia can be a good thing ;)

12. Jedi Writer

Jedi Writer Guest

Just because you are paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you!

13. jamming

jamming Banned

Yes, I know it and know everything as it says "Master of Space and Time" ;)