1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Day that Memphis Erupted

Discussion in 'Society and Culture' started by MemphisMark, Apr 4, 2018.

1. MemphisMark

MemphisMark Old School Conservative

Today, at 6:01pm, a bell will toll at the National Civil Rights Museum to commemorate the 50th anniversary of the assassination of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Formerly known as the Loraine Motel, it was one of the "blacks only" motels in Memphis. A wreath hangs from the railing where he was standing at that fatal moment and the room he was staying in has been kept as he left it.

I was not here in 1968, however I am told that the city, already on the edge of exploding due to the underpaid Black sanitation workers striking (which is why King was here in the first place), exploded. By the Blacks in pain and anger over King's killing, and the Whites celebrating like the Palestinians celebrated when the news of 9/11 broke there.

Not one of our proudest moments.

2. Arc

Arc Full Member

I was here then and as I recall and the NYT describes the reactions and effects to his murder were not exactly like you describe.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/04/02/reader-center/martin-luther-king-assassination-memories.html

Allene likes this.
  3. Allene

Allene Registered User

I was still in Canada and in the process of getting my green card. It shocked me to hear the news, and I wondered what the world was coming to.

4. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

I was a freshman and in the Phi Mu sorority suite at Memphis State when I heard it on the radio. Some girls walked into the room talking and laughing about it. I remember cars honking and a general feeling of celebration around me. I felt bad but was too stupid and gutless to speak up. — Martha Asbury Wilson, Memphis

Sounds like you both agree?

5. Arc

Arc Full Member

A bunch of people taking satisfaction or feeling full of glee in the death of a single national controversial figure or icon is not the same as thousands of in the middle east joyfully and wildly celebrating the attack on a nation and the killing of thousands of innocent people in the process.

Are both wrong? Yes. Are they the same? No.

Allene likes this.
  6. ethics

Got it, thanks for clarifying.

7. MemphisMark

The Whites of Memphis were celebrating in that "That uppity Nigger got what he deserved." Just like the Palestinians were celebrating in the streets when they heard the Towers fell because "the US got what they deserved."

I am deeply hurt and saddened that both groups were happy about their particular events.

Since I was a teenager and first heard Dr. Kings words that he wished that everyone be judged on the content of their character, not the color of their skin, I have spent my life trying to uphold myself to that ideal.

Allene likes this.
  8. ethics

Different times, Mark, and US was literally segregated.

Allene likes this.
  9. MemphisMark

I understand that, more than you'll ever know. If I was born and grown up in the South instead of Ohio, I am pretty sure my parents would have been klukkers. While they weren't open about it, I did see their views on Blacks come out every now and then, and frankly it sickened me.

This is why when I write on my blog about racial topics, I want the Black culture to mature and renounce violence and ignorance. Living in Memphis I see racism every day, however it's mostly by Blacks, on Blacks. The White racism isn't as pervasive or blatant as it was when I first arrived.

Allene likes this.
  10. Susan Addams

Susan Addams Unregistered User

Even my parents were probably too young then to comprehend this dreadful event but I think it's just awful that anybody would take glee in such a sad thing, noting that doubtless many in the Middle East took similar glee in the WTC attack in 2001. I'm very upset that we elected a black president which would make a person think that it would improve race relations, but IMO the duo of Obama and Holder hurt race relations hugely during Obama's term. — Oh, and get this: yesterday Holder announced that he will possibly seek the Presidency in 2020.

Myself, I like to make friends with other races just to do my part one person at a time to show them that white people are not all bigots. I've even dated across racial lines and liked it although I never became significantly close to any of them. I'm doing my share one person at a time to show other races that there are good white people.

Allene likes this.
  11. Allene

Allene Registered User

I hadn't heard about Holder's planned run! I hope people have more sense than to vote for him.

Susan Addams likes this.
  12. MemphisMark

All I have are friends. I don't have "black friends," "Gay friends" or anything like that because I don't label my friends other than as "my friends." I don't care about if they are male, female or transitioning from one to the other. I don't care about their skin color, religion, sexual orientation, whom they love (singular or plural) or how they express that love to each other. Yes, some of my friends and acquaintances express their love for their significant other(s) with whips, rope, violet wands, needles and a whole bunch of other stuff.

I'm in agreement with Morgan Freeman. If you want to end racial strife, stop talking about it.

Frodo Lives and Susan Addams like this.
  13. Susan Addams

Well Mark, we are in perfect agreement! :) I can tell you for sure that I've kissed Asian men, black men, Jewish men, white men of course (Christian, atheist, whatever), and if my eyes were closed I know for sure you can't tell the difference. (I'm a white, Christian woman although I'm not serious about religion enough to attend church. I do have a neck chain with a cross that I wear about 1/3 of the time. Y'all know Suzy loves gold and my cross and chain are sterling silver, and I wear my gold jewelry more often... I have a gold ring with a cross that I sometimes wear.)

And to add, I've had many gay and bi friends and just loved them (figuratively). They are so non-judgemental and accepting. They know they are living in glass houses, and they definitely understand they don't want to draw attention to themselves (PDA etc.). My gay/bi friends are good people to party with! All I care is that they understand that I'm not gay/bi, and that I appreciate they respect decorum and not make out in front of me. So far, even in private homes, they have respected that I am straight, and they know it's better to be affectionate in private or among their gay/bi friends, not straight ppl.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2018
  14. Susan Addams

Oh Allene, don't worry about Holder succeeding in getting the Democrat bid in 2020. He did almost as much as Obama to hinder race relations. I can't imagine a successful Holder run. I think almost any Republican candidate would beat him.

I say: bring it! :) You Dems wanna run a loser, run Holder, or Pelosi/Feinstein/Boxer. (At least I hear Boxer retired.) Say, duh, do you think Hillary Clinton should formally retire?

I haven't seen a single non-lame Dem possible candidate named yet. Holder is almost as lame as HRC again, even Obama again. I have yet to see a credible DNC candidate for 2020 emerge.

15. Allene

Allene Registered User

I think Hillary is already retired. She just doesn't know it yet.

Susan Addams likes this.
  16. Susan Addams

She is also retarded and evidently doesn't know that either! :rolf-53:

It greatly amuses me that HRC thinks anything she does now will get her anything. She is politically dead meat!

I wonder if the story that Bill and Hillary had approx. 100 people killed is true. And if true, I wonder if they have any need to kill any more people. That's the story going around, some of my friends believe it. Myself? I'm a bit of a skeptic on that and I've filed it under "things that make you go hmmm..."

HRC is going to be lucky if she doesn't serve time. I think Comey is going to get some bad news soon too!

17. Allene

Allene Registered User

Most likely the 100 people killed rumor is a conspiracy theory.

18. Susan Addams

Well I said I scoff at the rumor. There are probably an equal amount of anti-Clinton and anti-Trump rumors. That's why I say, let's just skip the BS and proceed to the indictments.

19. Allene

Allene Registered User

I was responding to a comment you made in your own post just above mine: I wonder if the story that Bill and Hillary had approx. 100 people killed is true. And if true, I wonder if they have any need to kill any more people. That's the story going around, some of my friends believe it. Myself? I'm a bit of a skeptic on that and I've filed it under "things that make you go hmmm..."

20. Susan Addams

Yes, I understood that. That was what my reply referenced.