1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The CIA's Secret Army

Discussion in 'Issues Around the World' started by Advocat, Jan 26, 2003.

1. Advocat

Advocat Viral Memes a Speciality Staff Member

Seems that the CIA has been quietly rebuilding it's Special Operations Group (SOG) over the last five years. CIA Director George Trent started enlarging the front-line paramilitary section soon after taking over the agency.

This extensive Time article gives info on: CIA history; how SOG is going to be used today; and discusses inter-agency rivalry between the CIA and the military

CIA's Secret Army

2. bruzzes

bruzzes Truthslayer

Interesting article.

I know two people within the clandestine area of top secret organizations. It is truly amazing how well trained these people are and how unique their abilities to blend in an area in a unassuming way. I also know of the tremendous strain it puts on the individual. Often they are unheard from for many months and occasionally many years and the family they come from never know their whereabouts or their mission except for vague comments that remain ambiguous.

One of these members was a high ranking Intelligence officer connected to the China area. He has since deceased. The other is still active and occasional checks in.

I believe there are small organizations that exist without even the President or Armed Forces Security committees aware of.

It is too bad that their stories will never be told and the number of successful missions that curtailed grievous harm to our nation will never be known.

I humbly thank those people for the job they are doing.

3. pupowski

pupowski Banned

I'd like to see more CIA/para-military and less conventional military for fighting terrorists. The military industrial complex is growing too big, expensive, and intrusive. Besides,conventional warfare has limited utility in the war on terrorism.

4. bruzzes

bruzzes Truthslayer

Agreed pup.

The war against terrorism is unlike a war against a country.

We almost have to have our own secret army to combat those organizations.

5. mike

mike mesmerized

Who says we don't?