1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Book Graveyard

Discussion in 'Issues Around the World' started by ethics, Oct 27, 2002.

1. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

What do you do with all your books?

We're a pretty literate group, which means each of us owns at least a few books. But what happens when you finally come to the realization that you have too many of the damn things?

Libraries are faced with this problem all the time and have come up with different ways of <a href="http://www.nytimes.com/2002/10/26/arts/26BOOK.html">disposing of books</a>. (NYT site with free registration a requirement)

Sacrilege or just plain Sanity? How many books do you own? How many of those have you actually read? What is your method of deciding which books must move on to 'greener pastures'? And how is that executed? Do you break it to them gently, find them caring foster parents, or just dump them in the dust bin?

2. Sir Joseph

Sir Joseph Registered User

I have a basement.
    Every once in a while we would just dump the books outside for all to take. Some good books I would place on half.com to see if I can sell. Otherwise, I would just keep my books until they disintegrate.

3. Sunriser13

Sunriser13 Knee Deep in Paradise

I was raised with a passion for reading that has not diminished at all as I've aged. My mother taught me to read when I was barely two, and had me reading Gulliver's Travels when I entered first grade.

Unfortunately, that also makes me a confirmed pack rat when it comes to books. I can't seem to get rid of one without experiencing severe separation anxiety... needless to say, storage has become a problem! ;) Perhaps one day, I will gain the discipline to start giving some away. (As soon as I finish wording that adoption contract...)

4. wapu

wapu Veteran Member

I get a large number of my books from yardsales and thrift stores. I keep the ones I like and I think I may read again. The rest I try to give away or sell at a yard sale 5 for a dollar, never any higher. If they do not get sold, they end up at the Deseret Thrift Store drop off.

I have always felt that it would mean more to the author to have me share their work with others than it would for me to horde the book and keep it for myself. Maybe I can feel that way since I rarely read books that have been written in the last 20 years. Even those I have, I would not have read if it meant paying $8 for a paperback copy.

wapu

5. ACat

ACat Random

I have quite a few here...I've read each and every one, and reread many, and have never been able to throw any out. At worst, I'll lend them to someone...I probably have over a hundred out there, many of which I may not see again. Outside of that, when the time comes, I'll just have to get more shelves.

6. DSL Dan

DSL Dan Registered User

Almost all of them move on to either...

1) Brother-in-Law, or

2) Boys & Girls Club thrift shop.

7. cdw

cdw Ahhhh...the good life.

Me too.. I just pass them on to relatives.

8. ethics

Which is probably bought by yours truly.

Half.com is probably the best place to buy books. Slow as hell on shipment but well worth the price. :)

9. ethics

See, I knew it!

It's not just me that approaches books with some holy presence, it's almost everyone on this thread.

It's as if it were some small pet like but with wisdow and a life of its own.

10. Sir Joseph

Sir Joseph Registered User

Why don't we post our books that we're ready to get rid of and perhaps trade or just give it to each other?
    It certainly will beat the $.99 that I'l get at half.com.

11. Ravenink

Ravenink Veteran Member

I am currently faced with this dilemma as well. While I would love to donate many of these books to those who can benefit from them as much as I already have, I am just too attached to books. I have a hard time giving something like that away. Once I read an excellent book it starts to comprise a bit of my person, and to give it away feels like depositing part of my identity in that donation bin as well. While I loan alot of books out to people, and some I never get back, it is just soooo hard to give away books. I need to start doing something though. Right now I have two 7 foot high by 3 foot wide bookshelves overflowing in my room. By overflowing I mean one corner cannot be walked in because of the pile of books on the floor :/

12. ShinyTop

ShinyTop I know what is right or wrong!

I have books stacked in every corner of the house. I read a lot of fiction and some I read over and over. I am getting ready to buy my fourth copy of Red Storm Rising. Two fell apart and my son stole my third, although he denies it. I give to the library when they have their annual sale and I also swap 2 for 1 or 3 for 1 at a local used book store. I love to go to Houston on business - of all the places that my work sends me they have best stores for my kind of military reference book. My wife allows me extra spending money for my trips to Houston for books and even more if the Dodgers are playing the Astros.

13. ethics

Re: Red Storm Rising. CLancy did his research very well.

One of the more realistic books was The Hunt On the Red October, which had Russian language and culture pegged very nicely (in comparison to that Rambo movie which had "Russians" that even I couldn't understand ONE word).

Also, Soviet Union had a few Subs trying to escape, most towards the Nord coast. All of them were sunk before they reached it, however.