1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The best chicken soup, ever

Discussion in 'Issues Around the World' started by Steve, Jan 8, 2003.

1. Steve

Steve Is that it, then?

Not a specific recipe, chicken soup's too "spiritual" for recipes....but try this, next time you decide to make some:

Roast a chicken. About halfway through, throw in some carrots, celery, peeled potatos, peeled parsnips, peeled turnips, a quartered onion and a few garlic cloves. Baste three or four times during the second half of the roasting period.

When done, remove the vegetables to a platter to cool. Let the chicken rest, tipping to drain any remaining fat accumulated in the cavity.

Add the entire roasted chicken to a tall stock pot, the kind with a removable strainer insert. Simmer gently with a few more garlic cloves for about 1 1/2 hours.

Remove chicken with strainer insert and set in sink to cool and drain. Dice roasted vegetables and add to stock in stock pot, maintaining gentle simmer.

Season to taste, and throw in a bouquet garni. While the vegetables are simmering in the stock, strip the chicken carcass of meat, removing the skin. Tear the meat into small chunks and add to the soup as you go.

If the soup needs thickening, add some rice, barley, wild rice, small pasta, or other starch of your choice.

Delicious!

As an added benefit, you can get a second stock out of the stripped carcass which will be less flavorful and lighter than the first stock, but will still be much better than canned stock or boullion cubes.

Bon apetit!

2. Sam

Sam Cute and cuddly!

Yum, I am starting to get really hungry! I forgot my lunch today.
    I will definitely have to try this one.

3. Steve

Steve Is that it, then?

I forgot to add, for the people watching their diets, that this is a very healthy recipe. Most of the fat renders during the roasting period and can be discarded, if you don't save such things for gravies, etc.

There is just enough fat left in the final product to retain some of the richness of flavor, but far less than you'll see in a can of soup.

4. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

You people are making me drool at work!