1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Baltic States and NATO

Discussion in 'Issues Around the World' started by Leopoldo Niilus, Nov 21, 2002.

1. Leopoldo Niilus

Leopoldo Niilus Registered User

NATO invites the Baltic States - Estonia, Latvia & Lithuania to join.

Leon,

You'll remember the endless discussions I had on the "old" CS forum with our friend Fuhrmann, who vehemently sustained that the Baltic States never, ever could or should join NATO?
    :haha:

Full story

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/2497245.stm

:beer: :beer: :beer:

Leopoldo

2. jamming

jamming Banned

I like the idea in the article about the 21,000 NATO Rapid Response Force, it makes a lot of sense. I hope that NATO could also develope its own follow-on Standing Peacekeeping Force that could be moved into place with a multinational flavor for circumstances which would be appropriate for NATO to participate.

3. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

Yes, Leopoldo. I remember quite well.

I never thought this was a problem. I mean, as soon as we heard about ripples about Poland, it was just a matter of time.

Congratulations by the way, I know this is a huge thing for your people.

4. Allene

Allene Registered User

Leopoldo,

Interesting article and good to see the Baltics admitted to NATO. How times have changed! I cannot remember the fellow on the old CIS forum you are referring to. I probably wasn't paying attention!

Allene

5. Robert Harris

Robert Harris Passed Away Aug. 19, 2006

Let us remember that when the issue was being debated in the US, before we signed on to the expansion bandwagon, the strongest supporters were from the defense industry -- the weapons producers. They made lots of political contributions to congress people and the like.

Interesting point made in the story:

"...though many of the new members are bringing with them only small and poorly equipped armies."

"US President George W Bush warned that all Nato members - both new and old - must contribute military strength to the alliance, even if it means increasing defence spending.though many of the new members are bringing with them only small and poorly equipped armies."

And, of course, in the old days they got their weaponry from the USSR. Now they will have to get all kinds of stuff from other NATO member countries, the US being a major producer of such stuff.

US President George W Bush warned that all Nato members - both new and old - must contribute military strength to the alliance, even if it means increasing defence spending.

6. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

My biggest issue with this whole deal is how do the Baltics benefit?

Leopoldo, you were always expressing your fear regarding FSU, and especially when Putin was voted in. Do you see the same fear of Russia you used, regardless whether Baltics get in to NATO or not?

7. Leopoldo Niilus

Leon,

With your permission, I'll get William Safire to answer you. :)

http://www.nytimes.com/2002/11/21/opinion/21SAFI.html

8. Allene

Allene Registered User

Leopoldo,

A very interesting article! What became of the Baltics (Estonian?) newspaper you used to post here? I seem to remember a number of interesting articles.

Allene

9. Leopoldo Niilus

Allene,

Good to hear from you. And thanks for all the moral support!!!

Yes, I was able to post for some time an Estonian news agency service. But then you had to pay for it and it no longer was possible.

For Estonia there is an Estonian Foreign Office bulletin which can be posted. I'll have to see to it confessing that I have been negligent as of late. For a number of legitimate and perhaps not so legitimate reasons. Ah, well...

Yours truly

Leopoldo

10. Leopoldo Niilus

11. Allene

Allene Registered User

Leopoldo,

Thanks for your nice message and for posting this article. I hadn't realized that Lithuania's association with Russia went all the way back to the 1700s.

I also found it interesting that Sakalauskas, who should have the biggest grievance against the Russians, is more willing to let the past go than is Landsbergis.

Allene

12. Perry Stroika

Perry Stroika Member

The balts will continue to discriminate against the Russians inside the baltic countrys. Its their way of saying we have the revenge.

People will be people and theres no laws that will overrule primitive human nature.

Despite of what Leo the Russophobe may tell you.

13. Leopoldo Niilus

===============================

Perry, oh Perry,

You have now called me at least twice a "Russophobe." I would submit that this kind of allegations should be substantiated. But this may not be part of Russian cultural background. If so, forget about it.

Let me just go back a step.

It is an undisputable fact that the Baltic States and other people and nations in the immediate vicinity of the now called Russian Federation frantically seek to acquire protective umbrellas - NATO, the European Union, whatever - regardless of the specific cost and troubles those umbrellas will bring witn them.

Is it justified to put this as a simple consequence of Russophobia?

There are, of course, elsewhere and in general analogous schools of thought.

Many Americans would consider any criticism of U.S. policies as an expression of anti-Americanism.

Many Israelis would consider any criticism of Israeli policies as a consequence of anti-Semitism.

Majoritary Muslim areas and countries would consider any critical remarks as a reflection of anti-Islamism.

To my own personal taste, all this is too simplistic. Nefarious for critical thought and a stumbling block to intellectual analysis.

All my best

Leopold Ivanovich Niilus