1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The avg student debt in Washington DC. is $40,885, the nation's highest

Discussion in 'Economy' started by ethics, Mar 12, 2015.

1. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

2. Greg

Greg Full Member

Not quite related, but I heard today that the average person born today will owe about $225,000 (their share of the national debt) by the time they graduate college. If ... present trends continue.

By then, they can collect my share from my cold, dead body.

3. tke711

tke711 Oink Oink Staff Member

To be honest, I was surprised the number was as low as it is considering just how crazy university pricing has become.

ethics likes this.
  4. Greg

Greg Full Member

My first semester at a major university cost my dad $80. Books were maybe $120 total.

Of course that was back in the days before they even invented dirt.

5. ShinyTop

ShinyTop I know what is right or wrong!

The problem is incredibly complex. It is of national interest that the government help those that need help get an education. But it is also of paramount national interest that a university education be affordable. Families should not have to decide whether to have a home or an educated child. Then we run into the be all, end all reason for our country to exist, capitalism. So the universities grad all they can creating a unending spiral. How much of the high price of education is caused by the government grants and loans? Universities raise their rates and the government makes more money available.

So who decides all of this. Why the money talks as we all know. And the money is controlled by educated men who are only supporting their alma maters when they support higher tuition and then lobby for more support from government. Although I am sure it is out of date I remember reading maybe ten years ago that French tuition ran $500 a year. We are definitely doing something wrong.

ethics likes this.
  6. Allene

Allene Registered User

7. ethics

Rick, here's a big confession. I am all for socialized education IF... MASSIVE IF... I knew that the tax money was:

1. Going to education
    2. Not wasted.

We are seeing what's happening in Public School system already. I can't think this would be any different in higher education.

ShinyTop likes this.
  8. SixofNine

SixofNine Jedi Sage Staff Member

How true is the story that Warren rails against the cost of higher education in her populist stump speech while pulling in $300-$400K from Harvard to teach one class?

9. ethics

10. Greg

Greg Full Member

I think we are reaching a situation where "social advancement" (the practice of passing you to the next grade even when not qualified) has reached the college level, only they are now able to turn out unqualified degreed graduates who are unable to perform their jobs they were "educated" for, but owe the government $20K-$100K in educational loans.

They are churning out a generation of college graduates with no education or talent, with educational loans they cannot possibly pay, with a job market they cannot possibly become employed, and so many end up living with mommy and daddy, watching TV or working at Walmart or Taco Bell, if their jobs aren't displaced by illegal aliens who are willing to work for less.