1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The "Assault" Weapons Ban

Discussion in 'Issues Around the World' started by mike, Nov 25, 2002.

1. mike

mike mesmerized

From this site-http://www.jointogether.org/gv/news/features/reader/0,2061,555387,00.html

Excerpts:
    "Federal lawmakers won't be considering reauthorization of the assault-weapons ban until sometime after the 108th Congress begins its work next year, but national gun-violence-prevention groups have already begun a strikingly unified push for a more stringent ban."
    "As Brady Center spokeswoman Amy Stillwell pointed out, the recent sniper shootings in the Washington, D.C. area, which involved the legal Bushmaster .223-caliber rifle, have clearly demonstrated the need for a tougher ban. "The (D.C.) sniper incident and the Bushmaster that's on the street indicate that the law isn't necessarily absolutely conforming to the intent and spirit of Congress," she said. "If that means that the language needs to be strengthened in order to comply with the original intent and spirit of Congress, then that's what needs to happen."
    "Those tools have yet to be specifically defined. But in general, according to Rand, they can be provided in large part by redefining assault weapons so that guns like the Bushmaster .223 are banned. The current law prohibits the manufacture of semiautomatic firearms with detachable magazines if they contain any two of five assault-weapon characteristics: a folding or telescoping stock, a pistol grip, a bayonet lug, a flash suppressor, or a grenade launcher. The Bushmaster .223 has a detachable magazine, and because it has only the pistol grip as one of the restricted features, it is a legal gun.

Still, Rand says, the Bushmaster .223 is nevertheless "a classic assault rifle." It is also a prime example of how gun manufacturers skirt the law and take advantage of it. According to Rand, the Bushmaster .223 includes a feature called a "muzzle brake," which is very similar to a flash suppressor and falls outside the ban. One of the most curious features about the gun is its stock, which looks like a collapsing stock. But it isn't. Why would Bushmaster produce a gun with a fixed stock that looks like a collapsing stock? "To give it the 'look' that sells," Rand said. "There's a huge market for people who want a gun that looks as close to the military version of that gun as possible and that incorporates as many of these design characteristics, whether they are just cosmetic or they actually function. We believe very strongly that the silhouette and the look of the gun that the sniper chose appeals to people who intend on using it for purposes like what the sniper used it for."

[rant]
    Exactly how has the "Assault Weapons Ban" significantly reduce crime? FBI,ATF,and your local police have failed to enforce the laws on the books as is-do you think criminals walk into a gun store and fill out the form and go through the NICS checks? Bear in mind that most of those deal-breakers by NICS were from people who had very minor offenses, traffic warrants, or just the automatic restraint order some judges issue during divorce proceedings.

The snipers used the rifle in a one shot fashion, and they did poorly (center of mass, not head shots), especially given the range they chose to commit their crimes. If they used a bolt-action or single-shot rifle, would there be a call to ban them? The AWB was a knee-jerk liberal and democrat' reaction to the stockton massacre in CA, with Clinton following suit in '94. The Stockton shooter was mentally ill-therefore legally not allowed to own a rifle. Was not the Bushmaster XM-15 rifle stolen from a gun shop in WA?

Enforce the laws on the books, at least the ones that are meaningful, not meaningless, like the "assault" weapons ban-and leave me and other law-abiding citizens the hell alone with your friggin' laws-stay out of my bedroom and my gun safe.
    [/rant]

2. ShinyTop

ShinyTop I know what is right or wrong!

Should we ban cars that look fast. I mean, after all, faster cars are more dangerous. And the manufacturers are trying to sell their cars by making them look fast so those buying cars that look fast must be intending to break the law. Ban those fast looking cars!

3. mike

mike mesmerized

I just can't resist this one-hope it doesn't get zapped!

4. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

Looks like it got zapped before it got here. ;)

5. mike

mike mesmerized

Hmmm...I can see it ok, does anyone else get a red X or something.

6. ShinyTop

ShinyTop I know what is right or wrong!

I saw/see it. Person loading pistol with Preparation H bullets. Caption reads "For those days when you have to deal with one inflamed asshole after another."

I don't see any reason for banning it.

7. Jedi Writer

Jedi Writer Guest

Your Advertisement Here!

(Okay, okay, I didn't want to get penalized for deleting a post!)

8. fritzmp

fritzmp Fire Fire For Effect

The current law prohibits the manufacture of semiautomatic firearms with detachable magazines if they contain any two of five assault-weapon characteristics: a folding or telescoping stock, a pistol grip, a bayonet lug, a flash suppressor, or a grenade launcher.

Have we had a rash of drive by bayonetings I don't know about?

9. EMIG

EMIG Yup

I am nonplussed by the cynicism of those who sell as a crime-prevention measure any law which bans arms on the basis of how they look.

It makes me think there must be good reason for the gun nuts' fears of the government banning all firearms. The only way these measures make any sense at all is as a first step on the slippery slope.

10. Pyrion

Pyrion Liquid Metal Nanomorph

It's not in the appearance. It's in the wording.

"Assault Weapons Ban". In other words, "gun ban". Guns, by nature, are assault weapons.

11. fritzmp

Guns have no Nature, but people do and that's what they need to address. EMIG is right about the appearance of weapons as a motivator to steer up folks emotions on Gun Bans.

It's sad, retarded and demeaning that anti-gun advocates use such trivial things to play head games and pull at the heart strings of people for their agenda. If it's numbers of people killed each year by abuse they, need to revoke drivers licenses.

I feel sorry for Jim Brady with that wife of his rolling him around like some poster child. That lady is way out their and needs to address the real issue of mental illness that caused Jim to get shot.

12. Sierra Mike

Sierra Mike The Dude Abides Staff Member

Gosh, I'd like to know if it would be all right to mount a grenade launcher on ANY weapon, much less an assault rifle? I mean, sure, I'd like to walk a dozen or so 40mms down I-10 during rush hour, but really now...

SM

13. fritzmp

You get a Class-3 tax stamp for each 40mm round and the M-203 ,or M-79 it's leagal. Lots of Fed Red Tape, but it's Leagal. If your State allows it and you can get a Sheriff, or Police Chief to sign off. Hell You can get Browning M-2 .50 cal while your at it.

14. ethics

But, Fritz, why do people get such weapons?

15. mike

mike mesmerized

Because you CAN......Class 3 federal tax stamps earn the US Gov't $200 per tax stamp, not to mention fees for the Form 4's and all else that is involved.
    The CM-203 is a legal 20mm "flare" launcher (except in Kali)...I have sen them sold in gun shows but I haven't seen a civ bring one to any ranges yet...
    It is a myth that people believe full-auto firearms have been illegal to the public since the 30's-fritz is corect-pass the BATF and FBI scrutiny, have any CLEO sign off on your form-and hand Uncle Sam $200 for every stamp-one word of warning-for those who want one now-be prepared for "friendly" LEO visits any time a dignitary comes to town....

take any anti-gun person to a range, let him/her shoot rapid fire semi-auto-then take him/her to 3 round burst or even full-auto----instant pro-gun convert.

I made sure to add the "her" because I have seen this personally.
    The Second Amendment is a Right, not a Privilege....

16. ethics

Really? How so?

17. mike

mike mesmerized

Just out of curiosity, have you ever had the chance to shoot?

18. ethics

Yes, mainly Soviet weapons though.

19. mike

mike mesmerized

Just about everyone that I have taken to a range who had never shot before or weren't pro-gun loved shooting right afterwards.
    I see that you are probably familiar with the Kalashnikov family of firearms-the AR is an incredibly accurate tackdriver when set up correctly-I took a lady friend to a John C. Garand shoot one Saturday morning, and after watching us go through the motions and conclude the match-she just had to try it. And she did. We went to a gun show in Orlando and she picked up her first rifle, an AR-shocked her friends and coworkers-she was anti-gun up until she saw a match and tried a rifle for herself. Now she is going for her CCW-another thing that is slowly making its' way throughthe rest of the states.

20. Robert Harris

Robert Harris Passed Away Aug. 19, 2006

Amazing what some people have to do to simulate orgasm.