1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Anthrax Shot

Discussion in 'Issues Around the World' started by jamming, Jan 7, 2003.

1. jamming

jamming Banned

At sea aboard USS Constellation (CV 64) Jan. 6, 2003 -- A syringe is filled with Bacillusanthracis as crewmembers wait their turn in line to receive the shot. The first injection will help build the crews immune system to Anthrax. Constellation is on a regularly scheduled six-month deployment conducting combat missions in support of Operation Enduring Freedom. U.S. Navy photo by Photographers Mate 2nd Class Felix Garza Jr. (RELEASED)

2. ditch

ditch Downunder Member

You could perhaps call this one of the costs of freedom also.

3. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

Is this mandatory?

I've read about some nasty repercussions from this. National Geographic, in their WMD issue, had a case of a heli pilot (female) who, after administration of Anthrax vaccine was screwed beyond belief (the only picture of her was her curled up in a fetal position on a coach). The travesty is even more so because of her young age, nice body, and attractive face.

4. jamming

jamming Banned

It is mandatory of 860+ people refusing only 345+ continued until prosecuted as of August 2002.

5. wapu

wapu Veteran Member

I am not sure what all the shots were I got when in Basic training or Korea. I do know that I would have serious reservations about the Anthrax Vaccine. If the powers that be are so sure it is safe, why don't they get the shot publicly? To curb fears, I would like to see Dick and George get theirs publicly. I would like to see them give it to their wives and daughters. If it is truly safe, they should have no problem with that.

wapu

6. jamming

jamming Banned

To late Wapu, George got his publically when announcing his decision. Also it is a series of shots, not just one and its over.

7. wapu

wapu Veteran Member

I heard he was getting a shot. Did he get all of them? How about the other people close to him? If he is in a situation where he might get exposed, wouldn't it then stand to reason that those around him might also? Not just aids and staff, but family too? Was his shot from a normal lot that was sent out? Was it a full dose? Call me cynical, but I do not believe politicians when they talk about their health.

wapu

8. jamming

jamming Banned

I got the series once upon a time, then it was a series of six shots. His family's medical records are private but we can consider that probably not, however I doubt that he would take the chance for his choice to be anything else but real. He said it was his decision to sign the order, that he couldn't in good concience, sign the order and not get the shots. The pay off of saying that, is not worth the possible situation where he would be exposed. Besides statistically everytime people take over the counter medications they approach the same risk factor as a negative reaction.

9. EricaZ98

EricaZ98 Veteran Member

ugh- no big deal- have been on Anthrax for 4 years- only hurt once when I got it in the butt- OUCH. They are a series of shots- 6 each- 1st one month, next month later, 3rd two months later 4 on 6 mth, 5th shot on 8th and then 6th on 1 year anniversary of first shot. Then one given annually. If you miss, you start all over

And farmers have been taking anthrax for ages now. No, Anthrax is not one of the air shots given at Basic or AIT. You usually get it when PALMing for deployment

10. cdw

cdw Ahhhh...the good life.

Bush supposedly got "the" shot, said he was fine, but then it was never mentioned that he was getting more.
    He publicly stated that his family would not be getting the shots, but Mrs. Bush said she would be willing and would be willing to have her children get the shot. They NEVER said anything about a series of shots, just THE shot.
    I too wonder about all of this. Seems to me that the military appears to be the guinea pig. We'll see.

11. cdw

Really? Why did I think this was a "new" thing?

12. dmdvt

dmdvt Guest

Won't make a difference at all, will be blown up by our own government anyways.

13. EricaZ98

EricaZ98 Veteran Member

Not new at all... started for soldiers during Desert Storm and farmers have been taking it for years.

Why should Bush have to mention getting the full series. Thos that know of the Anthrax shot know that if you get one shot you are going to take the full set, or you are just wasting your time by doing so. I am sure Bush has taken it before anyway being prior Air Guard, depending on where and if he ever deployed

14. cdw

Well, count me as one of the ones that didn't know... shit. Now I gotta go out there and read about this too.... Why can't I just have all this knowledge... ya know, like be born with it, go to sears and buy it?
    (sigh)

Anyway, first I *really* heard about anthrax, oh wait. rofl
    Bush wasn't talking about Anthrax shots, he was talking about the small pox shot. lol... ok, i'm gonna go take a nap now since I have made a total ass of myself. :thumbsup:

15. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

Why would our own government blow us up?

16. Sierra Mike

Sierra Mike The Dude Abides Staff Member

Good question...despite some possible attempts, my government never blew me up in the field, though I figure there are several folks out there who would have tried. :)

SM