1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"That" Type of Person

Discussion in 'Society and Culture' started by ethics, Jun 23, 2014.

1. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

I can't put a label on it, but if you are over 40 you have enough experience to know exactly what I am talking about here.

It's not a psychopath or sociopath -- very well could be -- it's not a thug, it's not a victimhood cloaked idiots... I just can't put a finger on it.

I was reading this quick read on 5\
    Five Things I Learned In My First Year of Entrepreneurship

And while I was reading this along, I hit #4:

4. Clients Who Haggle Over Price Will Be a Problem
    This isn't that revelatory. You see this talked about in many entrepreneur blogs, but it really is true. Keep in mind, haggling is different than negotiating.

Call it the 80/20 rule or whatever you want, when clients beat you up over price, it is foreshadowing that they will beat you up over everything!

In the past 18 months I have done jobs that range in price from $600 to $10,000. And looking back now, every time I discounted my rates because I needed the work or was trying to be a nice guy, it has caused me enough stress to lose sleep.

I have found a magic number regarding the price of projects for my own clients that sets apart those who complain about everything from those I actually enjoy working with.1

If at all possible, say no to unfairly discounted rates. Set a floor for yourself and then price yourself quite a bit above that so even if you have to discount, you aren't really taking a loss. But you probably shouldn't even take those clients because they still are trying to get something for nothing.

I know this is hard if you aren't bringing in any money and you need that contract to pay the electric bill. I have been in that scenario, so I really do understand. That is why it is important to have multiple streams of revenue, savings, or at least a fall back part-time income that can sustain you.

Once you start doing crappy projects, it's hard to break out of that cycle.
    THAT, what the hell is that?

2. tke711

tke711 Oink Oink Staff Member

I'm a firm believer in never reducing price. Of course, I sell a tangible product, not a service, but the principle is the same.

Goes back to my favorite saying in sales:

"You can have price or you can have service and quality. You can't have both."

I'm also a firm believer in the principle of firing clients. Sounds strange, but some clients cost more to have than the margins you are making.

Those are the ones you fire of you can't make them profitable.

ethics likes this.
  3. Greg

Greg Full Member

Everybody wants a good, quick inexpensive job. I can give you any two out of the three.

If you want it good and quick it won't be cheap.

If you want it good and inexpensive it won't be quick.

If you want it quick and inexpensive job it won't be good.