1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Thank God there's no such thing as the Morality Police.

Discussion in 'Issues Around the World' started by -Ken, Dec 14, 2002.

1. -Ken

-Ken Guest

Here's a new twist, solicit a prostitute and lose your car!

I suppose if you are heinous enough to solicit prostitutes you should lose your car. That will make it easy, if you see someone walking you can assume they tried to pick up a prostitute.

Of course, for those who haven't been following things to closely here, Zed's pedophile walked (THAT'S WALKED) out of the courtroom with no charges

Now before it sounds like I'm attacking Law Enforcement, I'm not. Their job is to enforce the laws people <small>with their heads shoved up their ass</small> pass. I have no problem with that.

I do have a problem with the "I am more moral than you" people who pass laws all the while having their own nasty perversions and successfully hiding it in the privacy of their homes with (oh say) webcams.

This story is here.

Moderator note: If you want to link UiF posts, start a new post there, DO NOT bring garbage in to this section.

2. Frodo Lives

Frodo Lives to hit it!

I don't know if the politicians want more police officers killed in the line of duty, they sure are doing a good job of it. Since police are the once that need to enforce these totalitarian laws, they are the targets of retribution. Of course, this isn't a punishment you will find many of those same politicians paying when they get caught doing the crime.

3. ditch

ditch Downunder Member

Desperate measures to stop the world's oldest profession. Good luck to them, they'll need it.

4. ShinyTop

ShinyTop I know what is right or wrong!

I am a believer in law and order but this confiscation of cars for hiring a prostiture is overboard. The punishment should come closer to fit the crime.

5. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

Same thoughts here, actually.

6. midranger4

midranger4 Banned

And to think my kids said I would get no use out of the 74 Pacer I've kept in the back yard all these years :)

7. midranger4

midranger4 Banned

By the way I think the not so subtle jab at Haywire and the cross link to another thread were far from necessary in order to make your point.

But that's likely just my perception.

8. HaYwIrE

HaYwIrE Banned

I think this is a great idea. Maybe it'll slow the street prostitution rings down a little. That's definately a big problem here and abroad.

9. limeygit

limeygit Assume Sarcasm...

No, the jabs are unneeded, and pretty redundant, I doubt many are under any illusions...
    Let it lie (several layer pun intended)...
    As to the story, I remember in a forum far far away, and long ago, I put up a post about 'John TV' an attempt to humiliate those caught by the police, and make sure neighbors, employers, friends of their children in school etc knew all about it.
    That was wrong.
    This is wrong.

10. Coot

Coot Passed Away January 7, 2010

To bring this back on track, there are certain provisions of this that are out of bounds...for example, unless a person files a motion asking for a stay, the car gets sold whether or not the individual is found guilty.

Other than that, I'm absolutely fine with it. I have no moral issues with the oldest profession...I have huge issues with it when the the only winner is the pimp, and that is exactly the case when you're dealing with streetwalkers. The next problem I have with it is what it does to the part of the city it takes place in. Property values decline, the neighborhood becomes a magnet for drugs and the like as pimped whores are most certainly addicts to boots.

Along with streetwalkers, pimps and drugs comes the decline of community safety. Anyone here think that a pimp has any moral misgivings about trying to recruit a 14 year old?

Prostitution will never go away...hell most societies practice it, only it's given acceptable names like golddigging.

I'm all for putting the girls in the windows vis-a-vis Vienna or Amsterdam. There, it's an honest living with the person doing the work making the lion's share of the money.

11. Copzilla

Copzilla dangerous animal Staff Member

You know, I can understand if the vehicle is being used for transporting drugs or similar problem, where it actually has some form of attachment to the crime committed, or the fruits of the crime were used to purchase the ride, but this really is none of the above.

Here in Texas it's a huge hassle to confiscate cars. We don't usually do it, because if there's a lein, the money selling the car first has to go to pay it off. So our DA's won't even look at it if it has got a lein, unless it's a real sharp ride like a Jag. The turds figured this out and now they finance their cars.

12. mikepd

mikepd Veteran Member

There is always going to be a problem with trying to legislate morals between consenting adults that are not disruptive or harmful.

There are apparently always going to be problems when people see only the preconceived labels and not the people those labels have been attached to.

Life is *way* to short to worry about labels. Labels belong on clothes not people.

13. Ravenink

Ravenink Veteran Member

well, on the subject of a crime having something to do with a car:

I am not an expect on prostitution by any means and my only real knowledge of it comes from readings and TV. I remember a HBO special not long ago where they followed a man trying to get a prostitute. He actually had a MUCH tougher time getting the girls to talk to him. If that really is an obstacle to the successful solicitation of prostitution, then maybe the law has a reasoning behind it.

That being said I honestly find the idea of a person's car being taken away absolutely absurd. Is soliciting a prostitute even a felony? While I suppose the severity of the crime is subject to one's moral values, I simply can't fathom the crime being equal to that punishment.

If it is true that even in the case of a acquittal there is a possibility that the car is sold, I hope that this happens once to an unfortunate individual who sues the state in order to make the point of that absurdity.

Though I don't think I would ever partake of such fare, I believe Coot's idea of legalization is the best way to rid ourselves of the "problem".

14. ShinyTop

Freedom should include the freedom form other people's morals. Most "morality crimes" cause harm only because they are illegal, not illegal because they caused harm.

15. jamming

jamming Banned

Sometimes the harm is self-harm as in drugs and moral, crimes. Sometimes the harm is not immediate but societal long term harm.

16. ShinyTop

Government should make laws that protect children from self harm. They should allow adults to be adults. We should not have wear seat belts as adults. Of course, if I were running a car insurance company your insurance would not cover injuries to people in the car not wearing seat belts. Just an example of laying out consequences and then allowing adults to make their own decision without fear of the law. Just think how effective police might be if not tied to luring johns or pot smokers. I would love to know the dollar cost of enforcing prostitution and pot laws. What serious work could be done with that money?

17. jamming

jamming Banned

I agree with you being a libertarian, but that is why it is done, not a justification but just why.

18. HaYwIrE

HaYwIrE Banned

Prostitution <b>DOES</b> cause harm in many areas, Shiny one. Always has. Always will.

19. Coot

Coot Passed Away January 7, 2010

Shiny, this is one we will agree to disagree on. Streetwalkers are tied into a whole other level of crime that does impact the non-participant. For example...Joe or Than or Jesus or whomever opens up a little convenience store in a prime location...business is good for several years. The neighborhood goes into decline (a topic for antoher thread) and all of a sudden, our convenience store owner sees his business fall off as he's robbed more frequently and his steady clientele makes tracks for other parts of town. The streetwalkers are not the direct result of his business' demise, but it is surely part of it. Streetwalking cannot flourish without the assistance of pimps and crackdealers and the like.

I'm all for the legalization of prostitution, just as I'm all for a complete and total crackdown on all street crime. Get the crackdealers, the pimps and the streetwalkers. A guy cruises 9th and State Street for a hooker, taking his car is absolutely called for as is any other measure to stop it. A guy pulls up in the driveway of a brothel that is not linked to crime and then it's all good.

20. ShinyTop

Coot, I spoke too concisely. Prostitution as now practiced causes immense harm. But it is because of its illegality that we have pimps and woman strung out by their pimps. If legalized and regulated it would cause much less harm. Not saying I would want my daughter to practice but if a woman makes the decision to do that we should not make her a criminal for doing what thousands do nightly for a dinner and night out. Please, ladies, I am not saying all woman who engage in sex on a date are prostitutes. We all know there are woman who marry for money and yet that is legal because they have a piece of paper. And I do not restrict this to women. Many men would turn to prostitution if they could live on 50 cents a day.