1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Texas Executes an Innocent Man

Discussion in 'Issues Around the World' started by ethics, Aug 25, 2009.

1. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

Well, you nailed it.

Cameron Todd Willingham: Wrongfully convicted

Science defeats DA 8-0

Fucking sad.

2. mikepd

mikepd Veteran Member

The way arson investigators are traditionally taught is not with any science based principles, for the most part, rather they are trained by senior colleagues on an OTJ basis almost. Times are changing but not fast enough.

3. Copzilla

Copzilla dangerous animal Staff Member

Also read his wife's statement about the entire thing. She says he confessed before his death. There's an awful lot there that the anti-death penalty crowd does not want to consider.

http://www.star-telegram.com/2009/10/25/1709042/stacy-kuykendalls-statement-about.html

I still don't think he was innocent.

4. Arc

Arc Full Member

Said 10 months ago:

5. ethics

Well summed up then and definitely sums up the entire issue now.

6. ethics

I think this will be interesting as a PBS show can shine some light to the whole thing.

"Frontline" (10 p.m. Tuesday, Oct. 19): Did Texas execute an innocent man? "Death by Fire" looks at the 2004 execution of Cameron Todd Willingham, convicted for the arson deaths of his three young children. With access to those closest to the case, the PBS series examines the Willingham conviction in light of new science that raises doubts about whether the fire at the center of the case was really arson.

7. Buzz

Buzz Full Member

Only Nations full of barbarians execute people.

Nations of Barbarians like Iran, China and the United States.

Civilised Nations have abolished the Death Penalty.

8. Sierra Mike

Sierra Mike The Dude Abides Staff Member

Sorry, we'll try and do better in the future. In the meantime, we'll keep you safe, don't worry.

SM

9. mikepd

mikepd Veteran Member

Canada must have been full of barbarians prior to about 1960. I wonder where they all went?

10. ShinyTop

ShinyTop I know what is right or wrong!

Barbarian. Civilized. Ah yes, another post designed to provoke thoughtful, reasoned responses. Thank you so much.

11. ditch

ditch Downunder Member

Subtlety isn't your strongest suite is it Buzz. You're probably as much against the Death Penalty as me but if you seriously expect to convert the unconverted to your point of view with that approach then you have your head fully inserted in your rectum.

Good luck with your Four Corners show BTW. Let's hope you try a different approach in convincing them of the worthiness of your point of view.

12. Copzilla

I say that it is the absolute manifestation of civilization that we all band together, find that unsavory, destructive element in our midst, and forever rid ourselves of it so we may move on with a more ordered society.

13. Arc

Arc Full Member

I have been an outspoken critic of the death penalty in this country for some time. That is until I read your posts. Now, I'm not so sure. It's actually is beginning to seem more appealing.

14. Buzz

Buzz Full Member

Iran, China and the USA are the nations that execute lots and lots of people every year.

The rest of the world has abolished the death penalty.

DNA evidence is overturning lots of Death Row cases and Arnie wonders 'What the hell is wrong with our judicial system'.

The judicial system is flawed. The innocent are executed along with the guilty all the time.

This thread is all about just such an execution - its not sad - its an outrage.

When you look at the number of executions in Iran - you think - Barbarians.

I have the same thought when I see the executions in China and the USA.

Canada and Australia no longer have the death penalty - we have evolved. The USA are still barbarians like China and Iran.

Saudi Arabia execute women for witchcraft whenever a man complanes he has been bewitched by a woman she is publicly executed. What else can you say? - they are Barbarians.

The USA executes innocent people. What else can you say? - they are Barbarians.

EXECUTIONS AROUND THE WORLD

Eighteen countries carried out executions in 2009. Amnesty International documented the executions of 714, but this total does not include figures from China where the majority of the world's executions take place. The real global total is significantly higher. The five countries with the most executions are Iran (388+), Iraq (120+), Saudi Arabia (69+), the United States (52), and China, which executed more people than the rest of the world combined, according to same report by Amnesty International.

In 2008, at least 2,390 people were executed in 25 countries around the world and 8,864 people were sentenced to death in 52 countries. Amnesty International reports that executions almost doubled in number from 1,252 in 2007. Ninety-five percent of all known executions were carried out in only six countries: China, Iran, Saudi Arabia, the United States, Pakistan and Iraq.
    Countries with the Most Confirmed Executions in 2008
    1. China (1,718)
    2. Iran (346)
    3. Saudi Arabia (102)
    4. United States (37)
    5. Pakistan (36)
    6. Iraq (34)

http://www.deathpenaltyinfo.org/death-penalty-international-perspective

Just look at the company you keep - Barbarians all - between Saudi Arabia and Pakistan - two piles of absolute shit.

We are what we do. If you execute the innocent because of the inflexibility of your laws you are barbarians.

You say you are a democracy. Well this is an outrage - and only you can change it.

It's interesting the abuse I get for pointing this out to you.

By all means keep executing people - especially the innocent and keep showing the world what barbarians you really are.

15. Buzz

Buzz Full Member

What I said is the truth and..........

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-yB7J7DYi6M

16. ditch

ditch Downunder Member

So the only countries still using the Imperial system of measurement are Liberia, Myanmar and the United States. What conclusion do you draw from that buzz?
    Let me tell you what I think. As a means of comparing any of those countries against the other it means fuck all.

Simple when you think about it isn't it.

17. Copzilla

I dare say there is a massive difference between the judicial systems in the United States, and China and Iran. Nice to draw the similarities and reach conclusions about our society, but one must also recognize the differences if one wishes to actually debate as opposed to condemn.

18. ShinyTop

ShinyTop I know what is right or wrong!

Sixteen states have no death penalty. Many of them did away with the death penalty decades before Australian states did so. In the thirty-four states that currently have the death penalty there is on going debate to one degree or another. Every state has automatic appeals and defense paid for by the state when the accused cannot pay. There are a plethora of organizations that oppose the death penalty and aid the condemned in his/her ongoing defense. Yet the US is barbaric. Simple as that.

Buzz, does it hurt every day when you awaken and have to recognize that your country's staunchest ally for over 70 years is so barbaric and uncivilized?

1 person likes this.
  19. Buzz

Buzz Full Member

1. China (1,718)
    2. Iran (346)
    3. Saudi Arabia (102)
    4. United States (37)
    5. Pakistan (36)
    6. Iraq (34)

20. Buzz

Buzz Full Member

You make some good points here.

In Australia the power of our states was over ridden by the Foreign Affairs clause in our constitution. The Federal Government here simply signed a foreign treaty that was binding on all the states here that outlawed capital punishment.

Our States have lost their powers because of the constitution.

I applaud the states that have abolished the death penalty and I applaud the states that are debating the issue. All I am doing here is to point out that the United States IS, not the United States ARE, the United States is seen as one nation, that allows the death penalty.

Not every state has automatic appeal processes - Texas abolished it under George Bush and innocent people have since been execuited.

The US is next to Pakistan and Saudia Arabia, two barbaric nations that execute people for little or no reason, in the number of executions.

1. China (1,718)
    2. Iran (346)
    3. Saudi Arabia (102)
    4. United States (37)
    5. Pakistan (36)
    6. Iraq (34)

All of these countries are barbarians, because of the executions.

If you don't like it - fair enough. But the fact remains, the US is seen as a Nation, not a collection of independant states. There is no point in pointing a finger at Texas, and denying the fact that they are also Americans.

As for your last barb,

Buzz, does it hurt every day when you awaken and have to recognize that your country's staunchest ally for over 70 years is so barbaric and uncivilized?

My father was from Northern Ireland, he was an Ulster Scot, or what you people call "Scotch Irish". For hundereds of years, according to my family tree, my family members of my father's people, went to America.

Robert E. Lee was asked; "What breed of men make the best fighter?"

He answered; "The Scots who came to this country by way of Ireland."

Those Scots are my people, and I am one of them as well.

In fact many people tell me I look American.

My mother's people are Cornish, and in her family, they went to America to build your mines for hundreds of years.

For your information, I have many cousins that are American and Canadian.

Also FYI, when I was 17 I met and fell in love with a girl from Texas. She is the love of my life. She was killed when I was 19 and I still grieve for her. It hurts me every day when I awaken and realise that she is dead.

As for America and Americans, you are more than friends, you are kin. And yes we are allies, and family. But that does not mean I am a sycophant.

I will stand up to my friends and family when I think they are wrong. I do that because I care about them.

As for World War II. My grandfather served in both world wars and died in WWII. He was in the Royal Navy and was a fighting man all his life.

My Uncle, my mother's brother, served in WWII in the Coldstream Guards, in his Batallion before the war there was 900 men, at the end of that war, of those 900, there were 6 men left alive. My uncle was one of them. The Cold Stream Guards is still an elite Infantry Unit of the British Army.

My father served in WWII in the one branch of the services that had the greatest loss of life, and was the most important service of them all, without which the other services could not function - the Merchant Navy. Most of the men in the Merchant Navy never survived the war.

If you people, who claim to value liberty and freedom so much, you will allow me to speak my mind. My people have fought and died for freedom, you Americans think you are the only ones that ever fought, and you are not.

I will stand up and say my piece, but I will only speak the truth.