1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Texas Chili

Discussion in 'Issues Around the World' started by mikepd, Jan 31, 2003.

1. mikepd

mikepd Veteran Member

6-8 servings

3 lbs chuck roast, all fat removed and cut into bit size pieces
    1 large onion, diced
    3 cloves garlic, minced
    1 tablespoon paprika
    1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
    2 beef bouillon cubes
    1 chicken bouillon cube
    1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
    1 teaspoon oregano
    1 teaspoon black pepper
    6 tablespoons chili powder
    1/2 teaspoon cumin
    1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
    salt

1. In large pot, sear meat in a small amount of oil.
    2. Add onion& garlic, cook until tender (do not burn).
    3. Add tomato sauce, paprika, cayenne pepper, bouillon cubes and enough water to cover.
    4. Simmer 1 1/2 hours.
    5. Add cumin, garlic powder, oregano, pepper and chili powder.
    6. add salt to taste.
    7. Cook another 30 minutes or until meat is tender.

for extra flavor substitute beer for the water. you can control the heat by varying the amount of cayenne, chili powder and can add jalapeos if desired for more heat.

2. ShinyTop

ShinyTop I know what is right or wrong!

My butt burns just reading that recipe. Used to be I would try that without even thinking. Not any more.

3. Sierra Mike

Sierra Mike The Dude Abides Staff Member

I'm sure your toilet thanks you!

SM

4. ShinyTop

ShinyTop I know what is right or wrong!

My brother was a hero of the hot pepper. I remember my Dad telling him "I bet your ass will be happy when you die."

5. Biker

Biker Administrator Staff Member

Ain't hot if it doesn't burn just as bad coming out as it did going in. :happy:

6. mikepd

mikepd Veteran Member

Shiny, I know some truly wild people who substitute habaneros or even scotch bonnets instead jalapeos. Then again, it is called Texas Chili, and there are those who say there are wild Texans running around in Washington. Maybe they eat this stuff with the kicked up version. ;)

As always, when working with fresh peppers, wear gloves (those non-latex disposable gloves work well) or coat your hands with vegetable oil. If you get the capsicum on your hands while removing the seed pod and then touch your eye, you will be in a world of hurt.

If the heat is to much while eating, some dairy product like milk will reduce the heat. Do not drink water as that will make it worse.