1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Texas a Model for the US?

Discussion in 'Issues Around the World' started by ethics, Jan 7, 2003.

1. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

Is Texas representative of America's future, <a href="http://www.austin360.com/aas/insight/010503/0105insight.html">as this article from The Economist suggests?</a>.

A widening gap between rich and poor, budget shortfalls, a political system owned by business interests, a heavy reliance on the military-industrial complex, executive corruption, and conservative sweep at the polls.

Does America look like this?

Or Is this the American that's following Texas' lead: A wide-open land of low regulation giving people the freedom to build something from nothing. A place to start over. As Davy Crockett said, 'You may all go to hell, and I will go to Texas.' Cotton, oil, high technology. A healthy export-based economy, a diverse population, and an opening border.

Does Texas represent "America on steroids", as the article states?

edit: fixed link.

2. Coot

Coot Passed Away January 7, 2010

The link is farked

3. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

Edited, good to go and thanks. :)

4. Sierra Mike

Sierra Mike The Dude Abides Staff Member

I come from Texas, so I can only agree. :haha:

SM

5. fritzmp

fritzmp Fire Fire For Effect

I would prefer to live in New Mexico, or Arazona, but:

Texas is a strange place. I think what they have done is echoed in other less known places in the country. Georgia , North Carolina even Virginia has found new life in recent years and have similar obstacles and growing pains. New York and California are going to be less important in the comming years. land is cheaper elsware and with the internet and transportation shipping readily available, people can live in more moderat climates, live less expensive, and move into the rest of the country.

The comming years will be interesting to see. That is if we don't FUBAR it in the process.

6. Copzilla

Copzilla dangerous animal Staff Member

And we're the FATTEST!:thumbsup:

If there's a widening gap between rich and poor, it's not because of opportunity. Texas tends to maintain a vibrant economy even during times of national recession.

7. Sierra Mike

Sierra Mike The Dude Abides Staff Member

LOL...love the new avatar, doughnut boy!

SM

"You want to find an outlaw, hire an outlaw. You want to find a Dunkin' Donuts, call a cop." -- Leonard Smalls, Raising Arizona

8. Copzilla

LOL! Thought you might... Donut GIRL too, now, so I have a backup... ;)

9. Biker

Biker Administrator Staff Member

Texas has always marched to its own drummer. Texans are fiercely proud of the Republic and have always managed to come out on top in the face of adversity. I think the rest of the country could do well in following their lead.

10. Copzilla

Thank you, Biker, that was very kind!

Fritz, you are correct, land is cheap here. I own a 3-2-1 brick house in a nice suburb of Houston, I paid $53k for it about 8 years ago. It's worth about $85k now with the improvements we've made and land value climbing a bit. But still, my mother (a Californian) tells me that in California, even in some of the less affluent towns, my house would command a quarter million.

There's an awful lot to like about inexpensive living.

11. Coot

Coot Passed Away January 7, 2010

Well, there is this story of corporate malfeasance on as grand a scale as we've seen in this country in modern times. I doubt that it could have gone on as long as it did in any other state.

NY Times Story

This may be the price we pay to keep jobs in country rather than exporting them to our free trade neighbors.