1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Telemarketers laugh at the Do Not Call list!

Discussion in 'Society and Culture' started by Greg, Dec 4, 2013.

1. Greg

Greg Full Member

I've had all three of my numbers registered at DoNotCall.gov since June and I still get 1-2 calls a day! I'm usually at my computer so I pull up the DoNotCall complaints as I'm waiting to see if I can get a human to puck up (usually the recording says "press 1") and already filling out the complaint form by the time a person comes on the line. I tell them "you placed an unsolicited telemarketing call to a number on the government Do Not Call list and I'm reporting you right now." I'd say that about half the time they hang up in my ear. The other half of the time they often say they're sorry and won't call again. I say, "Thanks, but I'm reporting you anyway."

So giving a month for my numbers to show on the DNC list I've been getting these calls after being listed for over 4 months and they haven't abated a bit. Telemarketers act like they don't care about the Do Not Call list.

For what it's worth...

By the way, Obama had the Do Not Call website shut down during the government shut down. Anybody in IT knows that the DNC website would have probably run on its own automatically just fine without human intervention (not unless a server crashes or something). That just shows you what a bastard Obama is.

2. MemphisMark

MemphisMark Old School Conservative

I don't get too many telemarketers calls anymore, and all of those are robocalls.

I have two scripts for the live ones.

1) Burial insurance policies, anything to do with final expenses: I let them prattle on, until their script comes to a programmed pause where I am supposed to answer. I stay silent, and about 3-4 seconds after the pause becomes uncomfortable, I say in a low tone of voice, "We don't bury our dead." Then I hang up.

2) Everyone else: I tell them, "Listen, I've got an FBI hostage negotiator, so now is not a good time. Don't worry about calling back, I don't think I'm making it out of this one."