1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ted Cruz

Discussion in 'Society and Culture' started by Sierra Mike, Oct 21, 2013.

1. SixofNine

SixofNine Jedi Sage Staff Member

It's a good discussion. If you really want to shrink the government, how do you go about doing it? The business-as-usual model doesn't work, and it's too early to tell if the "Cruz model" will work. In any case Cruz and his simpaticos aren't going anywhere because they will be reelected by the electorates who love them.

2. Sierra Mike

Sierra Mike The Dude Abides Staff Member

Clearly, Copz has been lying in wait for this thread for DAYS.

Cruz is a hot rocket, not at all like the rest of the GOP, and he's absolutely such a small government guy that dinosaurs like Ineffective McConnell are putting their hands to their mouths before they start shrieking like women. The only thing better is that asswipes like Reid are doing it, too.

Obama gets to finish out his term, and then he's done. I rather suspect that he's going to have a storied history as the Bungling Professor who fucked up the US of A, but Cruz has set the stage for himself pretty nicely. Let's see how he handles it.

BTW, I know Biker's anointing his tribute photos of Cruz every night. Can't fool me, guy. :D

3. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

Copz, if you feel that a guy like Cruz can change, or even start to change things... well, we clearly disagree. Instead of going on a similar rant, I'll just leave it on one note. The economy is damaged much more than MSM or anyone knows. It's part of my job to know what, where, and what.

IMHO, Cruz's temper tantrum was more of the same that has been happening. You see it different because it's something different in a long time, but it's the same shit.

There will be no change with the two party system. None.

4. SixofNine

SixofNine Jedi Sage Staff Member

Will he get Secret Service protection at his forwarding address in Kenya? :D

Sierra Mike likes this.
  5. Allene

Allene Registered User

I think so too.

6. Copzilla

Copzilla dangerous animal Staff Member

The economy is damaged because employers have been in a stasis because of this ACA looming. They've been in stasis since it was passed, and you know it. The government shutdown had nothing to do with that. The government has been shut down, what, 17 times before? How on earth have we ever recovered from those previous shutdowns?

You're not the only one who can read and interpret economic signs, Leon. And those signs have been in the works long before Cruz ever stood at the podium.

Ted Cruz is the anti-Obama.

McCain? He's completely capitulated to Obama; he's been a complete RETARD. He found himself pushing for a Syria intervention along WITH Obama because he'd been pushing for an intervention just playing politics with Obama. McCain never wanted any Syria intervention, he just wanted to be a dick to O. And he got roped into being butt-buddies with him.

Boehner? Geez, can anyone please remove his picture in the dictionary where it says "Weak-kneed politician"? Wait, no, it's probably appropriate there. As the leader of the House where he SHOULD have some leverage, he is getting puppeteered by the WH. HE is the one who should be leading the budget charge, but he's been very very soft. Only kudo I have for him is standing firm on the Sequester, and that is far too little.

7. Allene

Allene Registered User

I know you are addressing Leon in the above post, Copz, but I need to chime in and mention that I have been worried for a long time about what the out-of-control spending and borrowing of money was doing to the economy. I never thought that the government shutdown was the reason for the damage to the economy.

8. Greg

Greg Full Member

Both Cruz AND Obama chose brinksmanship. It's just that Obama has the bully pulpit.

9. Biker

Biker Administrator Staff Member

This shouldn't be about "anti-Obama". All that does is lend credence to the accusation that the Tea Party is nothing more than a group of racists who are against Obama because he's black. And quite honestly, the more I've seen over the past few months regarding the Tea Party, the more I'm inclined to agree that they have no business trying to dictate terms for the country.

They lost any relevance they may have had in their claims for fiscal responsibility when they went to the far edge of the spectrum in trying to get the ACA defunded.

10. ethics

Uhm, the economy has been shit even during 1st W term. It has tanked and crashed during Bush. My problem with Obama is that he didn't address it, spanked the ambiguous "banks" for it, and his administration is a shit show with no accountability. What Cruz was doing is boatmanship for his own benefits. If you feel he has integrity well... what can I tell you? I've seen better charisma out of Soviet leaders, Americans have not come to the same level... yet.

Better foundation and better economy. The economy hasn't recovered for shit, people lost jobs and stopped looking.

Hooray? Who isn't except the tribal?

11. Greg

Greg Full Member

I agree, there was never any realistic chance that the US would default unless Obama ordered US Treasury Dept. to default. I wouldn't put it past Obama if he could hang the blame on Cruz and the Republicans.

It's clear to me that Obama considers this a "no holds barred" struggle and that Obama would do anything/everything to get the upper hand even if it includes ruining the country.

Let's us just remember that the Republicans were the ones who backed down rather than ruin America. When the Republicans backed down Obama was all ready to go another round, keep the government closed, fuck the veterans and fuck America's foreign vacationers who wanted to visit national parks, and fuck ME because they pulled the switch on the DoNotCall.gov site not because it costs any money to run to let the servers stay up but rather because Obama knew that ppl who wanted to complain to the DoNotCall site would be irritated.

The Obama administration did everything they could to make the shut down onerous, irritating and panful, then went another step to rub it in (to our honored war veterans), and then he blamed it all on the Republicans even though the House sent over all those bills to relieve the major pains. And even without any bills 85% of government still kept running.

The biggest problem we face here is that if Obama had agreed to pass the incremental funding bills we would have ended up with only 1-2% of government unfunded... and of course that 1-2% would have been mostly Obamacare.

Unfortunately the Republicans played a bad hand. They either didn't consider that Obama would force a brink, or thought he would cave. It's especially regrettable considering that we are now watching the failure of Obama unravel, something we could have seen headlines on Oct. 1st without the shut down instead of today the 22nd.

I don't blame Cruz or his supporters. He fought the good battle, and lost. He plunged himself into the national Limelight, although I don't believe this was just a game to get on the play list, I'm certain that he was seriously represented his electorate and that's what they wanted him to do.

I'll say the chance of Ted Cruz not being reelected are nearly zero. I'll say his chance of being a contender for the Republican Presidental candidate in 2016 are distinctly non-zero.

Let's us remember why the Republicans lost the 2012 Presidential race. The Republicans never had a candidate we could all rally behind. McCain was the least of the losers so we went with him. Meanwhile Obama engaged a significant Democrat electorate. It's not surprising the Republicans lost and the Democrats won.

Let's think about this going into 2016, and I predict Cruz will be a player.

12. Greg

Greg Full Member

Hindsight is always 20/20. Yeah conservatives got nothing, and even worse, lost, but nobody knew that going in, not you, not me, not Cruz, nobody knew how this would work out, and all your criticism is retrospective.

I agree: nobody wants the system changed, except of course Obama and his liberal cabal.

I disagree: Cruz did not do this just to further his own career. He risked his political future to uphold his campaign promises to his electorate.

And let me remind you, our political system is (perhaps unintentionally) designed to favor a two-party system and inhibit a three-party system. Every time a third party emerges it sucks energy from the party they are closest to, and the enemy of both parties wins. It's a fundamental that two is a stable number and three is not.

The best we're going to see is sub-party (sub-Democrat, sub-Republican) factions taking the reins and steering their party in a different direction. That is what the Tea Party is doing viz a viz the Republican party.

The outcome has not been well so far but let's remember that it's not the end until it's really the end, and it ain't the end yet.

Or you can just suck down and eat the plate that Obama served.

13. Copzilla

Oh my god... Never mind.

14. ethics

Copz, keep in mind the model of the two parties pitting its voters against each other. Using the Debt Ceiling as a negotiating tool for the Reps has been going on too long and if they REALLY wanted to cease the constant raising of it, they would have done this a long time ago. But it's not in their favor.

15. Sierra Mike

Sierra Mike The Dude Abides Staff Member

It's in no one's favor in the Old Guard, for certain. That's why we need guys like Cruz shaking up the establishment, and forcing people to wake up and smell the coffee when it comes time to renew their representatives during the election cycle. Stuff like this always causes harm and consternation and condemnation, but change is never easy nor peaceful. The outright apathy and its slutty sister corruption are rampant in Washington, even moreso than in that sterling light of moral guidance, Hollywood. And that's pretty freaky, since the major differences between the two communities is that Hollywood people are usually better looking, and they don't water down the drinks as much.

All this aside, the chaos in the financial markets (and especially for the dollar) are worth noting, but there's probably no way to step around the damage, unless everyone puts their personal interests aside and does the right thing by the Republic. But that's like a science fiction story.

16. Biker

Biker Administrator Staff Member

You aren't seeing the reactions outside of the US like I am. Even to moderates, the Tea Party is being likened to the KKK and people like Cruz aren't helping dispel that.

17. Copzilla

Yeah, that is the common theme to anyone who disagrees with the leftist agenda. Straight out of Propaganda 101. So you either believe it, or think because people are saying it, that should be why Cruz doesn't do what he was hired to do. G0tcha.

18. Greg

Greg Full Member

I agree 100% with your entire post, and I compliment your excellent analysis of the situation.

19. Greg

Greg Full Member

Fuck people out of the US. This is OUR country and we can fix it or trash it, but PPL outside of us: butt out. Not your business. Fix your own countries. Leave us alone to fix ours. (And ours (USA) needs a lot of fixing.)

20. Greg

Greg Full Member

His constituency gave him a "standing ovulation" (pun credit to my XGF Trisha) when he returned to Texas. It is plainly clear that his Texan constituency is totally behind him (at least enough to reelect him) and that his seat is assured.

To make it clear, he did exactly what he was elected (hired) to do. And I wish he was in a state where I could vote to return him to the Senate. However I am in a state where I can vote for him as President.

Make no mistake. Cruz carved out a seat for himself in the 2016 Presidency election. He will at minimum make it to the RNC meet as a possible candidate. That 21 hours speaking count shows he paid his dues.

At this hour (on FNC) it appears that some Democrats are joining Cruz's suggestion to postpone the Obamacare penalty for individuals for a year. I think that's going to happen, by one way or another. IMO there will be no tax penalty on 2013 taxes for not subscribing to Obamacare. Won't happen. Exactly what Cruz spoke 21 hour for. When it all comes out Cruz will get almost exactly what he wanted: you won't have to subscribe to Obamacare until at least the end of 2014. No tax penalty for tax year 2013.

Cruz took a lot of hits but the record will show that he came out the winner in this debate. Sadly, the Republican machine will hold it against him, winner or not, because he didn't toe the Republican line, and because he refused to bow to the Republican machine.