1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ted Cruz

Discussion in 'Society and Culture' started by Sierra Mike, Oct 21, 2013.

1. Sierra Mike

Sierra Mike The Dude Abides Staff Member

I like Cruz, if nothing else, because he's willing to shake up the business-as-usual crowd, though he hasn't managed to rouse the GOP out of its slothful state. The left despises him, which makes me like him even more. Is he a presidential contender? I don't think so, centrists have to work hard to get him, and they're all being fed the same media haterz stuff as the rest of us.

That being said, I like a guy who's willing to kick the establishment in the nuts, and damn the media, too. I wish there were more like him, but while there are a lot of folks who say they represent the Tea Party in America, only Cruz can carry the standard.

2. Greg

Greg Full Member

I like Ted Cruz too. He kicked the establishment in the balls because that's what he promised his electorate. More to the point, I think he's a new breed and his 21 hour marathon announcement cast him into the national limelight. (Not that I think he did this for selfish reasons). From what I saw he was on fire!

Yeah, okay, his maneuver failed. At least it was better than the "if raped, lay back on your back and enjoy it" philosophy. (Apologies, this idea is extremely sexist.)

The reason the Republicans lost the 2012 election is because we had a choice of three lame dicks, so of course we picked one of the three lame dicks. At least we know Cruz isn't a lame dick.

Elaborating on the reason the Republicans lost the 2012 Presidential election is because none of our contenders nor the one we picked to hold the flag motivated the voting public.

Let's let our hair down... We all know (at least I know) that the Hillary monster will be what the Democrats run in 2016. We have discussed this in our forum for years, and I and many others have opined that the Hillary monster will rear her ugly head in the 2016 Presidential election.

So who will the Republicans run? We can already rule out all the contenders for the 2012 election. All of them either lost the vetting race (with a sympathetic Republican electorate) or like McCain/Palin lost it at the polls. Anybody who was in that field of losers is a losers.

Thus I submit: Ted Cruz. A guy who placed his political career on the line with an extremely small chance of winning and a heavy debt if he failed. And now he's paying that debt (even being blamed by Republicans) but he earned my respect as a guy who would give up his career to fight for what his electorate voted him into office.

When the 2016 Presidential election approaches I will have my eyes on Ted Cruz's rising star. We have about 3 years to see how he handles what ensues from this current battle, and we have a new battle in only 2-3 months where I expect Cruz will continue to establish himself.

Ted Cruz: Your enemy scored a serious sword strike and your cheek is bleeding. Back up, marshal your resources, get that cheek taken care of, and ready yourself for further battle. You will be back into battle in the next 2-3 months, and you are a contender for the free-for-all in 2016. You have your life and the history of America in the balance. I wish you well.

Sierra Mike likes this.
  3. Sierra Mike

Sierra Mike The Dude Abides Staff Member

Hear, hear!

4. Greg

Greg Full Member

And just for the record, we should drop the appellation "Tea Party." Anybody who runs under the TP banner is a likely loser, if for nothing else because the brand has become recently prejudiced to the degree that anybody claiming TP affiliation is like focusing a laser target designator on their chest.

We should just lose the Tea Party. Lose the label. Labeling yourself "Tea Party" isn't much better than getting a 666 tattoo on your forehead. Not going to help your cause.

We should just lose the Tea Party and shrug off labels. We aren't Tea Party, we are not Republicans, we are not "Conservatives" (with a capital "C"). Let's just be conservative and vote for controlling a government out of control, and vote for restraining government spending and government growth.

We don't need a label, we don't need a flag or banner, we don't need a spoke. We simply need to get down and vote for elected representatives who will restrain government and reduce government involvement in our lives.

Obamacare is the biggest government intrusion in years--if you don't count NSA spying on every American, and neglect to consider that now they are into our intimate health files too, in addition to knowing our every financial detail.

So let's blow past the labels and just keep our focus on what's important.

5. Allene

Allene Registered User

He sounds like a vast improvement over Hillary Clinton!

6. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

If Cruz is someone to cheer, I feel sorry for Conservatives and the Republican party.

7. Biker

Biker Administrator Staff Member

I have to agree. When someone is willing to throw the baby out with the bathwater, I'm not gonna be too impressed with the individual.

Cruz had an opportunity to be a shining example of what needs to be done in Washington, and he chose to play brinksmanship instead.

ethics likes this.
  8. Copzilla

Copzilla dangerous animal Staff Member

Bah, you guys don't get it. Chose to play brinksmanship? What does that mean, that he was willing to shut down government to get his way? What else would you have him do?

And for the record, that "credit default" thing is nonsense. The US w0uld automatically make its interest payments. The cuts would have had to come from within, something fiscal conservatives very much want.

What would YOU guys like to see the Republicans do to stop this Leviathan, to borrow a word from Bret Hume?

For the record, Cruz was sent to Washington on the exact platform that he is doing, something rare in Washington.

9. ethics

The biggest PR opportunity came with the Healthcare website clusterfuck, everyone knew it would be and yet, that was overshadowed by this clown who didn't get ANY of the things he wanted. Not one.

So what did Republicans get for shutting down the government for 17 days? Their poll numbers tanked. Their gubernatorial candidate in Virginia appears headed for defeat in next month's election. The business community is rethinking its support.

Let me add my own opinion. NO ONE in the current establishment - Democrat or Republican - wants any real changes. They have pitted the people of the US against each other because as Phillip II said about Greeks -- one needs to divide and then rule over them. Cruz did this for his own political renewal in 2016, he, nor anyone in Congress is there FOR the people.

You want change? Real change? Get another one, or more parties. What you have now will never be toppled via votes for one or the other.

10. Biker

Cruz was sent to Washington to reign in spending. Not throw half the world into a panic because he's too short sighted to see how that kind of bullshit puts businesses in other countries into a panic.

Part of the secret to maintaining a strong economy is to not throw other countries into a panic when you can't get your own house in order. He went about it in entirely the wrong way, and as a result, marginalized everything that he stood for.

11. Copzilla

And? He didn't get what he wanted... so? The reason? Because Republicans didn't hold fast. They blinked. They were weak.

Back to the status quo with Republicans that you say don't want any real changes?

This is what SM is saying he LIKES about Cruz. He's willing to shake things up and point out how weak the Repub leaders are. WE ARE AGREEING WITH YOU about that. They DON'T want any real changes. If Cruz pisses them off, hell yeah bitches!

We've been down the new party road. I think we need to completely overhaul the Republican party. Call them out on being the RINOs they are, and force them to get back to the small government advocates they should be.

BTW, since when have you believed MSM polls on things like that? BTW, the jury is still out on that one. By the time ACA is fully implemented, people will be clamoring to vote for the party that resisted it, even if unsuccessfully.

Sierra Mike likes this.
  12. Copzilla

So he should have just voted along with the rest of them... Gotcha. Yeah, that's reigning in spending alright...

You know who threw economies into disarray? BTW, this was widely overhyped by the MSM, but whatever... But the person most responsible was Obama, who went on TV every other day to talk about doom and gloom, and how terrible they were. The US was never under any threat to default on its debts. I can't believe you bought into that.

13. Biker

Who says I did.

But there's more to doing business than paying attention to the media. I watched several businesses in Canada get VERY worried over the impasse in Washington. Had nothing to do with the default. It had everything to do with the grandstanding and failure to buckle down to get the job done. THAT is what hurt Cruz, and the grandstanding on both sides is what has businesses elsewhere worried about the US.

14. SixofNine

SixofNine Jedi Sage Staff Member

The Tea Party (for lack of a better term) is a de facto third party, much stronger than other third parties.

Sequestration will cut the budget, but only for non-discretionary spending, and an agreement will still be needed to take a truly healthy hack at spending:

15. Allene

Allene Registered User

This is what I meant earlier about needing a leader who could get people to work together. Obama is a divider. He fans the flames.

16. Biker

The Tea Party is a political movement. I don't think they're registered as an actual political party.

17. ethics

Tea Party:
    • Is NOT the same TP as it was when the movement started
    • Is NOT a registered party -- as Tom mentioned
    More outcome:
    • Obama (who am I to ever defend this guy) never went on TV every day to flame the gloom and doom
    • The Republican boy Mac, cut a deal for HIS state.
    • Cruz didn't achieve ANYthing, not with kicking the status quo nor anything else. He was ineffective.
    • The economy suffered much more than MSM or anyone realizes
    • China made out like bandits
    • Dollar took a hit
    • US credibility took a hit.
    • Obamacare is alive and well and made people diligent in making it work because there was opposition.

Should I go on?

18. SixofNine

SixofNine Jedi Sage Staff Member

I never said that the TP was a registered party, hence my use of the term de facto. If they were registered they would be a de jure third party.

19. Copzilla

Qualify that. Because that term "grandstanding", to me just means you don't like what he is saying.

20. Copzilla

Obama (who am I to ever defend this guy) never went on TV every day to flame the gloom and doom

I saw on SEVERAL OCCASIONS throughout the stalemate where he was talking about damaging the economy, and blaming it on Republicans. Several occasions. Not just one day, not just one press conference, but damned near every single day.

The Republican boy Mac, cut a deal for HIS state.
    I blame him, not Cruz. So why does this have anything to do with Cruz?

Cruz didn't achieve ANYthing, not with kicking the status quo nor anything else. He was ineffective.

He was NOT ineffective. Without him, there wouldn't have been any opposition at all. So he didn't get what he wanted, and HE is the reason? No, he didn't get it because the Republicans are weak, and did not stand together. They SURE as hell aren't getting leadership from their leadership.

The economy suffered much more than MSM or anyone realizes

Bullshit.

China made out like bandits

China has been making out like bandits with this whole administration, dude. China is making out like bandits because America is weak, and this ACA nonsense makes us weaker. Doesn't have to do with Cruz. Dude, you are reaching SO much here!

Dollar took a hit

OMG... The dollar HAS been taking a hit, and is going to take a bigger hit if we keep doing what we're doing.

US credibility took a hit.

Not any more than any other reason under this administration.

Obamacare is alive and well and made people diligent in making it work because there was opposition.

And yet still it is failing, and is becoming a huge turd in the punch bowl. In the meantime, by expressing vehement (not passive) opposition to it, Ted Cruz is banking his political future on it being hugely unpopular. I'd say that is a sure bet.
    Should I go on?

Maybe if you give the answer I asked.

AGAIN... What would YOU see him do? Neither of you are answering that question... Just vote nay, and that's it? That is all?

Leon, you're talking about how Republicans and Democrats are the same, yet here is a Republican who IS NOT the same, and you're shit talking him. You're schitzo, dude. Yeah, he didn't get done what he wanted to, but he sure made some noise, and it needed to be made. Now that the can has been kicked down the road, people are going "You know, Cruz may be right, cuz this ACA is a turd." Sheesh, I saw in the SF Gate an op-ed about how the ACA math doesn't add up, basically calling O a liar. The SF GATE!!!

It's pretty hard for them to blame Republicans when it became very clear that Republicans were against it, to the point of militancy. Now the lefties got their way, and they have to own it.

Sierra Mike and Andy like this.