1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tech culture under fire

Discussion in 'Society and Culture' started by Biker, Jan 19, 2018.

1. Biker

Biker Administrator Staff Member

And this is a good thing.

Another top Silicon Valley investor slams politically correct tech culture, praises China

Now, while I can see the need for a healthy balance between working and your home life, much of the BS that you read about Silicon Valley really does need a close examination. And it goes deeper than this, where it all begins when the little snowflakes hit college and the administration there caters to protectionism instead of preparing them for the real world. As a result, many of the new startups and existing big tech firms in California subscribe to this behavior. Hell, you even see it here in San Antonio at Rackspace.

While the Chinese work ethic is somewhat admirable, I do not agree with the norms of 14 hour work days. However, you do find that they're much more adaptable to product changes which is why Apple has their products made there. In the US sector, a change could result in a delay of weeks (or months), where in China, a spec change can be done in under 24 hours.

Sadly, I don't see much change when it comes to the tech world, especially when you have the likes of Zuckerberg at the controls of the company. They will continue to think they're the greatest gift to the world, and the world should bow to their greatness.

dsl987, jimeez and Allene like this.
  2. Susan Addams

Susan Addams Amazonian woman in a petite package!

I for one consider myself a whore in that while I restrict my whoring to software/IT work I will do any work in that category as long as they want, as long as they pay my job shop (and me) the going rate. I have no Asian ancestry but I totally get that they have the attitude that when there is work it's time to work.