1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Talk about losers...

Discussion in 'Issues Around the World' started by mikeky, Nov 6, 2002.

1. mikeky

mikeky Member

http://www2.sltrib.com/politics/Main/Story.asp?VOL=11062002&NUM=13834

What's this country coming to when the citizens vote to keep radioactive waste coming into their neighborhood at the expense of schools and the homeless?! :)

Seriously, are we beginning to get to the point we can recognize industry bashing and bad science (NIMBY) and have said enough, common sense must prevail, i.e., a tax on rad. waste disposal won't solve homeless or fix our schools, it will just cost jobs? Or is this just another case of corporate money winning out over the citizens once again?

2. Misu

Misu Hey, I saw that.

I think when the people in Utah start glowing different shades of green because of their levels of exposure, they'll look back on this and laugh...

3. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

Didn't Allene just move from Utah?

4. Robert Harris

Robert Harris Passed Away Aug. 19, 2006

Yep. Allene is now lost somewhere in the Idaho wilderness.

5. Sierra Mike

Sierra Mike The Dude Abides Staff Member

Well, she should be able to navigate through the darkness without a flashlight, apparently. If all this green glow stuff is for real. Not to mention being a ready-made night light.

SM

6. mikeky

mikeky Member

Well, no one is in too much danger of glowing green because of the waste destined to Envirocare; it's radioactivity level is just not that high, and the waste is very well isolated after it goes in the landfill. But I would have thought that the fear of "glowing green", coupled with the promise of how the money would be spent, would have made passage easy.