1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Synaesthasia

Discussion in 'Issues Around the World' started by Sharondippity, Dec 8, 2002.

1. Sharondippity

Sharondippity Sweetness and Light

I found this subject fascinating. Does anyone here have associations between numbers and colors like I do?

Here's an exerpt from one of the web pages I found about synaesthasia:

"There are people - synaesthetes - whose five senses work together in a way that seems very unusual to most of us. Synaesthesia means some of your senses merge. When one sense (eg hearing) is triggered, another one (eg vision) also responds. About 1 in 2,000 people are synaesthetes, if you're left-handed - or female - you're more likely to be synaesthetic than your right-handed - or male - friends. Find out more about this remarkable effect here

2. Coot

Coot Passed Away January 7, 2010

It's an interesting phenomena. You are the first person I actually 'know' that is genetically predisposed to this and, hopefully enjoys it. On a personal note, I had a number of these experiences back in the 60's and 70's ;)

3. LissaKay

LissaKay Oh ... Really???

I experience something that is somewhat similar. When listening to music, I also visualize it as well, kind of like the visualizations in WinAmp or Media Player (which bug the crap out of me because they are discordant and out of sync with my own visualizations) Speech also evokes these but to a much lesser degree. They are not too colorful, mostly motion, like waves, spikes and spirals. To make things even weirder, I have mild physical sensations in my ears in reaction to some sounds, almost as if I can feel my eardrums vibrating. Not too surprisingly, I have a low tolerance for loud, harsh, and irritating noises.

I have been told that this phenomena is seen in people that are left-brain primary (if right handed) but also have a strong right-brain influence. In other words, people who mostly deal with life and problems on a highly intellectual and logical level, but also are very emotional, artistic and creative. That describes me to a T, and I believe from what I know of her so far, Sharon as well.

4. joseftu

joseftu ORIGINAL Pomp-Dumpster

When I'm almost asleep, in that totally relaxed state just before drifting off, I perceive any sound as a flash of light. I open my eyes thinking someone has taken a flash photo, or there's been a lightning strike right outside my window. It takes me a few seconds to realize it was a sound, and not a light, then another few seconds to figure out what the sound was.
    For what it's worth, I'm left-handed, but not particularly artistic or creative. (and I don't do drugs anymore, either ;) )

5. bruzzes

bruzzes Truthslayer

I have a friend who has the same associations.
    With her, she would "see" a color with a name.
    I found that quite fascinating. I am not sure if it was associated with just names or whether it also involved letters.

Under various drugs some of the merging senses can be re-produced in people who lack this attribute.

I have experienced this sensation myself, but it was produced by a combination of drugs. In my case it was LSD and mescaline. It lasted for mere minutes but it was also very enlightening.

This was years ago...!970's. I have been drug and alcohol free for 15 years now.

6. Misu

Misu Hey, I saw that.

Since I was little, I always linked my feelings and my physical state of being (ie, tummy ache or headache) to colors - same with scents and colors. It wasn't until earlier this year, when in a coginitive psych course my professor assigned a fascinating article on this phenomena, did I discover that I wasn't the only one. I felt RELIEVED, because for a long time, I thought I was just being weird. I was so happy to show that article to my husband, it was like I proved I wasn't crazy - at least not the only crazy one ;)

It really is quite cool - Demi, you should consider yourself extra special, not many people visualize music the way you do, and many of them report seeing plumes of 'colors', as if it's colored smoke, emerging from guitars and drums and speakers whenever music plays.

Also, many poets and classical writers are now being called synaesthetes because of how they wrote - many people with color-word synaethsia report that certain works blend in colors, while others (usually written by people without this form of synaethsia) write in a very unnerving and 'crazy' manner - the colors are all wrong.

It's a really cool subject, and research is being done it now - but not much is out yet because it's something that is relatively newly discovered.

7. Jedi Writer

Jedi Writer Guest

Sharondippity, an interesting topic and excellent post. Do you by chance have another web site or reference on the subject other than the site you provided? Trying to read it was about as pleasant as a root canal and it seemed to me it must have been hand written by Stevie Wonder.

I really would like to know more. Thanks for taking the time to bring up this topic!

8. Domh

Domh Full Member

Under the influence of a dangerous overdose of MDMA (better know as 'ecstasy') many years ago, I experienced this phenomenon quite clearly.

My sense of sight, hearing and touch were all intermingled nearly to the point of indistinguishability.

It was, to say the least, a fascinating and disturbing experience, from which I consider myself lucky to have fully recovered.

Without my extensive previous history with large doses of LSD I do not think that I would have been able to remain sane through such an aggressive 'rewiring' of the way my brain reacts to and processes sensory stimuli.

I was BARELY able to maintain a memory of how I usually processed information, and after about 18 to 20 hours found myself exhausted, but mostly back to normal.

I say 'mostly' because on occasion, infrequent but not rare, I do experience slight interminglings of sensory stimulus and I wholly blame it on the internal memory of my overdose experience, a memory that is now quite similar to the one I managed to maintain during the overdose, the one which assisted me in 'coming down' so to speak.

Frankly I view the entire incident with a combination of pride, shame, and keen intellectual interest. It, along with the aforementioned extensive experimentation with LSD, provided me with the best observations I have to date in defense of my hypothesis that reality is, in fact, entirely fallible - and that the source of what we sense is internal, not external.

Ah, but listen to me go on. I digress as usual!

(see leon? i need that forum more than ever now! LOL!)

;)

9. Sharondippity

Sharondippity Sweetness and Light

a little better source

interesting read

yet another one

Hopefully these are less irritating to read up on. I found the subject so interesting after hearing about the guy who had it, and had to break up with his girlfriend because her name caused him nausea- the sound of her name caused the smell of pastries which made him sick.

10. midranger4

midranger4 Banned

This topic reminded me of a link I still have marked as a favorite :

Colorgenics mood tester

Great topic Sharon :)