1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

[SWTOR] The wait is over

Discussion in 'MMORPG' started by ethics, Dec 19, 2011.

1. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

Ironically, it may have just begun via queues. ;)

As I've mentioned that I went over to the dark side-- hell, just started there. The server I am on is flawless, quick, no wait or queues. That MAY change with the launch but who knows. They just took down the servers at 7PM to ready it for launch at Midnight (EST) and they said they will add a few servers just in case. Honestly? Fan boys and people who are ready to give another MMO a try, they were playing with the early access already. I don't see too many more coming on board.

As for game play? It's nothing revolutionary, it's a bit of Rift, with WoW, and very little LOTRO. What this game has is 30 gigs of video or something like that. It's insane as every single quest has a cut scene. Group wise, I believe the max is 4 now (sort of like LOTRO when they started) but there ARE group quests that require and doable with just 2. If you get a quest, for example, that says [HEROIC 2+] it means you need at least 2 people and 2 people would not suffice. Armed & Dangerous was [HEROIC 2] and it felt ok with just two. The other one in the Korraban area that's around level 10 is Hated Game or something like that and that's [HEROIC +2]. Once you get higher, you will see [HEROIC 4] etc... There are some easy instances and there are some extremely challenging instances, the big factor -- as you already know this -- is how well people play. I was in a few that was just, wow, is this the first time you are playing MMO and it was and then there's some where we just went through stuff like warm knife through butter.

What class to choose is entirely your choice. One thing I did notice was the influx of Agents (rogue type/DPS) players, or Bounty Hunters who chose the DPS tree. Basically by the time people were 20 and needed tanks or healers, they were no where to be found. Personally? Don't bother with the IA class, for a DPS class they are not that great with DPS--I think Bioware will be changing them a lot. If you want to be a prototypical tank go with Sith Warrior and then choose the Juggernaut tree. Healers? Interestingly you CAN pick an IA class and branch out to a healer. Or go with Sith Inq and branch out to Sorcerer. Healers are major DPS machines too so..

Professions are actually fun and not too much of a grind... I won't go too much in to this and link this: SWTOR Crew Skills (Crafting) Guide | SWTOR Leveling Guide
    Armstech or Armorertech is more difficult than Bio for meds and stims. I still prefer the meds and stims--as a tank and an abundance of crappy healers, it's a life-saver.

What else? Get the game, play, you will have fun.

2. Biker

Biker Administrator Staff Member

:cry:

3. ethics

Sorry bro. :(

4. Andy

Andy ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"The other one in the Korraban area that's around level 10 is Hated Game or something like that and that's [HEROIC +2]"

I think it was called 'Hate Machine'?

I was able to pop in last night for a few hours eventually (apparently I didn't need the box code, I tried to log in and got in :p )

Got to lvl 8 before I knew it, and I hit lvl 9+ this am before work and got my light saber and companion. I got every quest in the starter area complete except that one Heroic you mentioned and the one to take the shuttle away from Korraban.

I'm on the Rubic's Cube server also (yea, that's my name for it from now on, deal w/it) Running a Sith Inquisitor named Stilgaardius and he kicks much ass compared to the Jedi Counselor I tried in beta that I got my ass handed to me on the first mission deep away from the Jedi Temple area and gave up on.

I'll be choosing the non-mage tree that gives him the 2-sided light saber and medium armor, just can't recall the class right now.

I WAS going to do it right now that I got home from work, but apparently Bioware has other plans...

5. Andy

Andy ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Heh,

6:30am est... estimated 20 minute queue on Rubiks' Cube.

6. SixofNine

SixofNine Jedi Sage Staff Member

Professions: I didn't try slicing in the game, but lots of players are using it because it's a money machine.

7. ethics

Andy, good to hear you got in. Look for me on there. I have two, one alt Leon, and my main jugg Asheki.

8. Elspeth

Elspeth Beware the Fire Dragon

Started a Bounty Hunter named Kayln. I will play some tonight.

Braz and I started our Republic characters on Wall of Light. Brazbit & Elspeth

9. ethics

Trying to get some folks from work on this as well. My only concern is that the server will develop a queu.
    Also, say no to theory crafting. ;)

10. Andy

Andy ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Did my specialty training to an inquisitor assasin. Nice bonus they give you a Pack with some goodies too. Double bladed lightsaber and a shield generator I got.

The roaming around the space station netted me. Early a level just talking to all the trainers regardless of actually learning anything

Side note I LOVE the customization system where I can remove upgrades and reuse them. Something that wow and lotro are still failing with.

11. ethics

Seven PM, no queue

12. Andy

Andy ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I get home at 8 pm. Its waiting for me :p

13. Andy

Andy ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

8:10pm est,.

150 deep...

14. ethics

LOL... amazing. How long is 150?

15. Andy

Andy ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Was like 10 minutes.

I'm pretty beat tonight so i just worked on some crew professions.

That's pretty neat i can send him off to rake in cash and goodies while I sit in the Cantina.

16. ethics

That's what I do. Any idle time and I just send the companion to do the work for me. :)

17. SixofNine

SixofNine Jedi Sage Staff Member

Apparently you can even send them off to craft when you're in an instance.

18. Brazbit

Brazbit Nah... It can't be.

I have been playing my character on the Wall of Light server and having a blast.

Going Combat Medic with my Trooper. It turns out I have found the Shaman of ToR:
    Blow Stuff Up, Check
    Heal self and others, Check
    Highly obvious glowing stream from myself to the person I am healing ensuring I am kill target #1 in PvP, Check
    Toss lightning bolts around for fun, Check
    Earthquake on demand, Check
    High DPS pet that isn't a pet: Check
    Wears way too much armor to be a traditional healer, Check
    Early non-mount travel speed boost, Check
    Can kill every elite I come across by being patient and heal tanking, Check
    And much much more :thumbsup:

19. ethics

That's awesome, Braz. Unfortunately I am having problems with my Jugg holding agro. Looking at forums, seems like Bioware forgot who the main tanks were supposed to be. Highly frustrated.