1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Suspect Is Son Of Gun Rights Activist

Discussion in 'Issues Around the World' started by ethics, Dec 8, 2002.

1. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

Son of a gun activist was arrested Wednesday night and charged with an apparent road rage shooting on the George Washington Parkway.

Police believe David Michael Keene, 21, shot a gun from a BMW on Sunday afternoon. The bullet shattered the window of a Mercedes Benz and became lodged in the driver's seat, just inches from the driver's head.

Police believe Keene and the driver of the Mercedes were involved in a road rage incident along the George Washington Parkway just before the shooting happened. The driver of the Mercedes managed to get the license plate number of the BMW and report it to police.

While I am not painting all gun advocates with one moronic move, I have to say that this is anything but positive for the pro-arms lobby.

2. Robert Harris

Robert Harris Passed Away Aug. 19, 2006

It will be interesting to see what the father's political connections do -- and how they will let the kid off the hook. In addition to being a gun nut the father is, "...is also a conservative political consultant and lobbyist who has worked in the White House and in Congress."

3. BigDeputyDog

BigDeputyDog Straight Shootin Admin Staff Member

Had his father been a construction laborer would the headlines have read "Son of Ditch Digger Arrested"??? I hardly think so...

The man was implicated in a crime and was arrested. Report the facts and don't sensationalize it by trying to make connections that may have no bearing.

Did the son still live with the father?? Did he have daily contact with him?? Were they estranged?? Is he of the same political persuasion?? Was he told by his father to carry the weapon and shoot at people??

:rolleyes:

BDD... :{)

4. Robert Harris

Robert Harris Passed Away Aug. 19, 2006

BDD. I am not sure I get your point.

Nothing wrong with the arrest, it was pretty straightforward. Cops had the tag number of the car from which the shot came, etc. Father's position, particularly political connections as conservative political consultant is quite relevant to how this case will be disoposed of by prosecutors and the courts, thoough. According to the paper the kid could get up to 10 years.

Wanna bet he gets nowhere near that, if he gets any jail time at all? Whereas the son of the construction worker would likely get a good dose of jail time.

5. RRedline

RRedline Veteran MMember

I see the irony of this situation, but I would hardly call it a blow to gun rights activists. If a PETA member was seen eating a hamburger, would it be considered a blow to their organization?

I agree with BDD on this one. I don't see the big deal with the irony and/or hypocrisy involved. The man should be charged with attempted murder, and anything less than a jail sentence would be wrong, in my opinion. I highly doubt that this guy had his father's blessing when he fired a shot at another motorist.