1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Surfing the web and cookies

Discussion in 'Bits & Bytes' started by Techie2000, Dec 14, 2002.

1. Techie2000

Techie2000 The crowd would sing:

A few months back after getting Mozilla, I decided to turn on the thing that prompts you every time a website tries to feed you cookies. I never realized how prevalent they are. Mostly from ad agencies and web counters. A lot of them are useful, but jeez some websites you go to give you a new cookie every page (coughhotmailcough) or multiple cookies on the same page. Anyways it's nice because I turned on this prompt, and it asks me if I want to reject, accept, alway reject, or always accept cookies from that domain. By blocking cookies from advertisers you can better protect your privacy.

2. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

Opera has the same thing, and I used to have this on. But man, are you not tired of being asked almost EVERY click?

3. jamming

jamming Banned

That's why I use Proxomitron, I can specifically set every Cookie to be session only, then I can turn it off like when I register here and I can keep that cookie as permanent. Also, I can set it so that cookies that are from a site can only be downloaded at that site.

4. ethics

Perhas we can do a simple tutorial on how to set Proxo up with good filter files already in place?

5. jamming

jamming Banned

Maybe, is Paul from Computer Cops here at GA? Paul would do a much better job than I.

6. ethics

Yep, user name is "paul".

7. tke711

tke711 Oink Oink Staff Member

I simply set mine up using Paul's filter set and it worked great for the most part. In time, I did a bit of tweaking to customize it a bit more to my surfing habits, but it was a good start.

8. Techie2000

Techie2000 The crowd would sing:

After I give it my rules, it stops after a while. Anyways they don't use proxomitron in Linux, just windoze. I suppose if I felt so inclined, I could setup squid...

9. jamming

jamming Banned

I like Proxo because I can be made to appear to be running

User-Agent: Netscape Linux (out)
    User-Agent: Netscape Mac 68k (out)
    User-Agent: Netscape BEOS (out)
    User-Agent: Opera 5.02 (out)

and I can confuse websites trying to pick information out of the referer:

Referer: Randomize referrer info (Out)

10. ethics

What are Paul's rules?

11. jamming

jamming Banned

More Rules that he has developed on his own, you can download them from his website.

Here at Computer Cops

12. ethics

The ZXList - Proxo?

13. jamming

jamming Banned

Yeah, by the way I paged Paul over at his website so he should be able to make some comments here.

14. ethics

Ok... in the mean time I will look in to his rules.

15. bruzzes

bruzzes Truthslayer

For Internet Explorer, one can select Tools/Internet Options/Privacy/Advance button, allow 1st party cookies, block 3rd party cookies and allow session cookies.

It won't stop ALL popups but reduces a tremendous amount of them.

I use POW to get the ones that slip through.
    http://www.analogx.com/contents/download/network/pow.htm

I put the .exe in my startup folder to put it in my taskbar.
    When a popup occurs, I single click to get the remove option and doubleclick to remove the offending popup. It is saved, and will never appear again.

This is just one of the many programs out there and has never interfered with any sites I have ever gone to. Many other programs are complicated to install correctly and often interfere with certain web sites. When that happens, often one forgets that it might be the popup program that causes it.

It is one of the simplest programs out there...

16. Paul

Paul Registered User

Hey, got back in thanks to Leon. Sorry for waking you up. ;)

My ruleset is pretty old, but I still use it myself and it works great. True, some bugs here and there because sites technologies change slightly, but overall the ZXList is still good.

There are newer updated blocklists available from other sources that were based off of ZXList. You can check them out here:

http://www.computercops.biz/modules.php?name=Downloads&d_op=viewdownload&cid=19

Also, if you need to contact the author of Proxomitron, or of those newer filter sets, you can check out the forums here:

http://www.computercops.biz/modules.php?name=Forums&file=index&c=14

The link right above only shows you the forums in the Proxomitron category.

Thanks Jamming for pointing me to this thread. Any other questions?

17. Paul

Paul Registered User

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
    Hash: SHA1

Just to prove this is me to everyone, I'm signing this post with my
    PGP key.

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
    Version: PGP 8.0

iQA/AwUBPfyseR9Pkw4GnyNqEQL/6ACg0NaWfdlSBnLu0/xBGP5TPJcqX/8AnRFF
    x6bf5aw2qqUorc2feZOkY9+y
    =uVeU
    -----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

18. ethics

Thanks dude!

And don't worry about waking me, it was time to get my ass up anyway. :)

19. Paul

Paul Registered User

Now I'm cooking breakfast!

20. Jedi Writer

Jedi Writer Guest

I use the cookie killer program Cookie Wall. It accepts ALL cookies so I get the web page contingent on the acceptance of the cookie. Based upon my settings the Cookie Wall then immediately kills the cookie on my HD but leaves it in cache. In fact I kill all cookies except the GA cookie.

Once every day or two I clear out all my cache and history.

I run a pop-up blocker, firewall, and great anti-virus program.

The end result is FAST and complete surfing, no prompts, no hassles, no pop up ads, no vulnerability to either hackers or viruses and total <i>functional </i> privacy.