1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Supreme Court strikes down North Carolina law banning sex offenders from social media

Discussion in 'Society and Culture' started by ethics, Jun 19, 2017.

1. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

2. Biker

Biker Administrator Staff Member

I guess it depends on what the original crime was. If it was for soliciting minors for sex, then yeah, I can see a broad prohibition being necessary. Quite honestly, you don't need social media to obtain your news and stuff regardless of what SCOTUS implies. In fact, I'd say letting social media be your primary news source should be prohibited. :D

3. Allene

Allene Registered User

I'd think at least some of these sex offenders would have already been banned as part of their probation, and that would include access to a computer.

4. Biker

Biker Administrator Staff Member

Don't need a computer, though, Allene. Most young people today use their phones as their primary means for Internet access.

5. Allene

Allene Registered User

Yes, that's true. I just dated myself, even though I use my phone to access the Internet when I'm away from home. I'd hate to use it as a primary means, though. The screen is too small.