1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Supreme Court Sets Historic Showdown For Health Law

Discussion in 'Society and Culture' started by ethics, Nov 14, 2011.

1. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

Well, here we go. SCOTUS will see and rule on this law and decide whether:

NPR did a fantastic, and objective job on describing what's involved. Please listen to the story vs. just reading the article. It's only 6 mins. Supreme Court Sets Historic Showdown For Health Law : Shots - Health Blog : NPR

2. ethics

I have a feeling I know how Roberts is gonna vote on this. From today's argument:

MR. CARVIN: No again. The people who impose the costs on the rest of us are people who engage in a different activity at a different time, which is defaulting on their health care payments. It's not the uninsured. Under your theory you could regulate anybody if they have got a statistical connection to a problem. You could say, since we could regulate people who enter into the mortgage market and impose mortgage insurance on them, we can simply impose the requirement to buy private mortgage insurance on everybody before they have entered the market because we are doing it in this prophylactic way before it develops.

CHIEF JUSTICE ROBERTS: No, no, that's not -- I don't think that's fair, because not everybody is going to enter the mortgage market. The government's position is that almost everybody is going to enter the health care market.

Emphasis are mine.

Attached Files:

3. Arc

Arc Full Member

To inject my previous posts and opinions on this:

4. Arc

Arc Full Member

One addendum:

In the largest trial with largest number of plaintiffs, (State AGs), to date on this issue the federal trial judge found the mandate unconstitutional AND then also tossed the entire Health Care Plan. His reason: He spelled out clearly that lawyers for the Obama care in arguing the case for the government repeatedly used the argument to preserve the individual mandate on the basis that the entire foundation of the whole health plan effectively function or working was that there be the individual mandate. The judge concluded that based upon the government's own line of reasoning and words that since the mandate was being tossed the judge felt based upon the reasoning of the government the plan was now fatally flawed and there was no severability clause it too was out.

5. Allene

Allene Registered User

So now we have to wait until summer to hear their decision.

6. Biker

Biker Administrator Staff Member

ROTFLMAO! Seems Obama challenged the Supreme Court and made reference to unelected judges, judicial activism, and his healthcare plan. Another federal judge took offense to the alleged slight.

OOPS!! :lol:

7. cmhbob

cmhbob Did...did I do that? Staff Member

From a friend on Facebook:
    Same friend also shared this link: "Impeach the Supreme Court Justices If They Overturn Health-Care Law"
    I still don't understand why they're trying to force us to buy insurance, as opposed to addressing the high costs of medical care. If they were serious about making medical care available and affordable for everyone, shouldn't they start there?

8. Allene

Allene Registered User

I've been following that and waiting to see something posted here. Do you guys think the Supreme Court will uphold Obamacare as it is now, with some tweaks, or throw it out altogether? I don't recall recent presidents before Obama doing that much sniping at the Supreme Court, but maybe I just wasn't paying attention. It looks to me like Obama's main goal from Day One has been to get re-elected for another four years.

9. cmhbob

cmhbob Did...did I do that? Staff Member

I can't see how they're going to uphold the individual mandate. The big question will be what that does to the rest of the law.

10. Allene

Allene Registered User

Yes, I can see that. Is anyone seriously considering impeaching these people if they do that? I think that's absurd.

One of the things I'm waiting to watch, if Obamacare gets passed, is how Americans will deal with the long waiting periods. If it is anything like Canada, it'll be worse in more rural areas and in smaller cities. Already we have lost 8 GPs in my locality in the past 18-24 months.

11. ethics

I am hearing the ruling is this Thursday.

12. Biker

Has to be Thursday. The Supreme Court typically breaks for the summer on June 30th.

13. SixofNine

SixofNine Jedi Sage Staff Member

Just got a flash on the iPad that they struck down the individual mandate.

14. SixofNine

Yikes, now another flash that they upheld it!

15. Biker

I'm getting a live feed from the court, and it was stated that the individual mandate survives as a tax. The ACA pretty much was left intact with a narrow reading on the Medicare portion.

16. Biker

Getting the live feed on Scotusblog.

17. SixofNine

CNN just issued a correction to their erroneous initial report.

18. Biker

No word on the "penalty" if one chooses this route, though.

19. Biker

20. Biker

Correction: