1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Support for Tougher Iraq Options Begins to Grow

Discussion in 'Issues Around the World' started by Sierra Mike, Jan 28, 2003.

1. Sierra Mike

Sierra Mike The Dude Abides Staff Member

From MSNBC--looks like the Russians are preparing to make a turn.

Read all about it at Growing Support for "Tougher" Iraq Options

SM

2. Domh

Domh Full Member

and as promised, they all start lining up like little duckies.

same old story.

they know where they stand, and we know they know where they stand, and they know we know they know where they stand.

:rolleyes:

3. midranger4

midranger4 Banned

I have a question which might be a bit off topic.

Let's assume France and Germany get onboard with a plan to use military action against Iraq.

Would such support by these countries mean that we wait even longer as these countries get their military forces in place before attacking?

It has taken us months to get our military in the position it now enjoys in preparation for a potential attack on Iraq. Would we have to sit on our hands waiting for the late arrivals of a potential UN coalition?

I kind of sense that it would and if this were the case it leaves yet another extended window of time for Saddam to continue about his merry way.

At this point I almost want to say let's go it alone.

4. Sierra Mike

Sierra Mike The Dude Abides Staff Member

I don't think anyone will be contributing much in the way of additional combat power beyond the US, UK, and probably Oz. The other things we need from our allies are overflight and staging rights, as well as their participation in establishing some sort of end game for transition from the Hussein regime. I'm not sure what all of this will entail, but the more help, the better.

I doubt very much Germany will come on board, since it would be political suicide for Schroeder, but France will likely come along for the ride. They might even send their 6th Infantry Division too. ;)

SM

5. cdw

cdw Ahhhh...the good life.

I wish they would just do it and get it over with. This back and forth, hemming and hawing is makin' me crazy. And I can imagine what it's doing to our troops over there.

I was laughing today 'cause I was reading that Iraq is slated to head the disarmament committe at the UN in May. Seems it's "their turn" via rotation. Well, I guess it will be fitting... they can tell the other countries what not to do.. :)