1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Super interesting photo essay...

Discussion in 'Issues Around the World' started by Misu, Nov 14, 2002.

1. Misu

Misu Hey, I saw that.

I just stumbled upon this photo essay - It's called 'Girl Culture'.

I thought it was really interesting how some of the girls expressed themselves - the first picture is of a 6 year old little girl, and what she says puts FEAR in my heart - because I already know what road she's headed down. Many of the girls' words were as if they had come out of one of my journals when I was that age...

Great reading, hope you guys enjoy it as much as I did.

<a href="http://www.time.com/time/photoessays/girlculture/">Girl Culture</a>

2. drslash

drslash It's all about the beer

I have two boys, 10 and 11, and there are challenges at times but I have a strong sense that I will not go through anything compared to what a friend of mine and his three daughters will go through. So many other parents I talk to say raising boys through the teen years is easier than girls.

3. Robert Harris

Robert Harris Passed Away Aug. 19, 2006

Sad stories, for the most part.

But hey -- I think I saw the blond model in a Manhattan restaurant last night. At least she looked the same from the back when she walked away. Even wearing the same sort of outfit -- jeans and bare belly. And she did attract attention -- I paid no attention to the other woman at her table, but turned my head a lot to look at the blond. :)

4. wapu

wapu Veteran Member

I have 2 girls to raise. This subject has kept me up on more than one occasion discussing it with my wife. We are concerned about the world that our girls will be in in Jr. High and High School. I worry that maybe I am not raising them right or that they will not develop into the self assured and self respecting people I want them to be. I wonder abouw when the time comes and they want expensive trendy shoes. Do I get them the shoes so they will fit in, or do I get the K-Mart shoes and hope it builds character in hem? Tough choices.

Thanks for the post.

wapu

5. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

I have a girl myself and this and the special report which I posted a long time ago here from NYT is disturbing, frightening, scary, and depressing.

Perhaps the ladies of the forum will have a better inward look in to how us men can avoid this?

6. Misu

Misu Hey, I saw that.

Avoid what? That your daughters grow up like these girls? Or avoid knowing about it? Or avoid inflicting it?

In short, we can't. It's just how our society is today. You will never be able to stop Mtv and magazines and Hollywood from dictating what is beautiful. You'll never be able to stop kids in school from teasing your daughters about their body.

Just love your girls, incourage them to be whatever they want. Try as hard as you can to keep the lines of communication open. Try not to judge them too harshly. Show them you'll always love them, no matter what.

Eventually little girls grow up to be women. And trust me, most of us make it out OK ;)

7. Robert Harris

Hate to say this guys, but one way to cope -- for yourself -- is to get divorced as the girls enter the dangerous ages, and let the ex have to deal with those terrible years alone.

8. Sharondippity

Sharondippity Sweetness and Light

I'm new to this board, so I can't tell if you're joking or not?

9. Violet1966

Violet1966 Stand and Deliver Staff Member

Oh god God that was so upsetting to me. Being a child is hard enough, pre teen and early teen even more so. Little girls shouldn't have to worry about sex and looks and weight and fitting in and being perfect. They should be able to think about girl scouts and soft ball and baking cookies with mom and playing jump rope. Why is the world the way it is these days? What is going on and why is it going on so damn fast? :(

10. jamming

jamming Banned

Its all about fitting in and Mother's (like Dad's) wanting to live through their childrens lives. It was just starting back in the late 1980's then it moved on to where it is now. Just like the debate that a bunch of Military Wives where having last year about the childrens' (not teen) thongs being carried in the Base/Post Exchange. What is with this sexualizing of children, like they don't grow up fast enough.

11. Misu

Misu Hey, I saw that.

The one picture and quote I found the most disturbing was of the 6 year old, which is the very first picture, and she was shopping for clothing in a trendy store somewhere in CA...

First off, why does this child even KNOW who Britney Spears is? And why do her parents take her to the same store that Britney Spears buys her clothes from??

Secondly, why does this child care so much about looks? Who taught her that? SHE'S 6 YEARS OLD FOR GOD'S SAKE!

My sister is 6 years old, and she doesn't know who Britney Spears is. She doesn't know about fashion - all she knows is that she likes pink and she likes to dress pretty - and to her, pretty means traditional little girl clothing. Now I admit, I love my little sister to death so I kinda spoil her buy getting her flare-legged jeans and jean jackets and other teen-ager clothes but made specifically for little girls. NO bare belly or crazy things like that - just cute clothing. And when she wears a skirt to school, she knows she HAS TO put on a pair of fitted shorts underneath. There are WAY too many sicko's on this planet, and to dress up a little girl as if she was a barbie doll is INSANE.

That little girl just really shook me up - she's 6 and she's already wanting to emulate Britney Spears...

12. Robert Harris

Quite serious.

But note that I said it's "one way," not that it is a good way.

It's terrible for the kid and the ex, good only for the departing husband.

13. Domh

Domh Full Member

amazing photo essay - very interesting work.

im wondering if there are any guys in here who are 6'2" tall, 180 pounds of lean muscle, square jawed, handsome, earning 100K plus, great at team sports, highly respected at work from everybody, constantly fending off hot young models, an avid extreme sportsman, loves football and baseball, the envy of all the guys, exudes an air of supreme self esteem and never loses a fight?

cause thats a perfect description of me, and im wondering if im alone here.

EDIT - Please dont miss the caustic irony here - Im making a point, I hope.

;)

14. BigDeputyDog

BigDeputyDog Straight Shootin Admin Staff Member

Dang!!! That leaves me out... I'm not a big fan of baseball... :haha:

BDD... :{)

15. Sharondippity

It's sad that it's all about looks, and that social rule is etched so early on.
    I recently saw a discussion thread on another board about Nancy Pelosi. It's only points of interest were her wrinkles. Jokes about botox were funny but nothing else was mentioned.

She has accomplished (whether you agree with her or not) so much, more than most of the participants in that discussion, yet
    all they could focus on were her looks.
    What the fuck is wrong with people?

16. immortal one

immortal one 501st Geronimo

It seems many kids these days are more influenced by society than by their parents.

As parents, we can only draw the map. We cannot pave the road.

I used to think that people make society what it is, but I'm starting to think it's really society that makes people what they are.

Just an opinion.

17. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

Sad isn't it? When a woman finally reaches that sort of a high leadership role?

My theory is that they are scared.

18. Misu

Misu Hey, I saw that.

Oh god... I know which one you're talking about, and it took all I could muster to restrain from posting these exact things. If you combined everyone that was cracking on her wrinkles - which are NATURAL FOR CHRIST'S SAKES, people DO get old, damnit - they STILL wouldn't have accomplished everything this lady has.

But all they could do was focus on wrinkles.

19. Sharondippity

Maybe if she had DD implants, and flashed her breasts they'd like her better..

20. jamming

jamming Banned

Maybe you could enlighten me what Nancy Pelosi has done off the top of your head?

I can think of three.
    1. Elected to Congress
    2. Whip Position in her Party
    3. Leader of her Party

All those things were done by Newt Grigrich too? So do people discuss him always with the respect he should have for accomplishing so much? I have seen some very disrespectful discussions no matter who is involved.

So I am wondering is the standard to be equal or does Pelosi deserve a less rigorous standard because she is a woman and that makes it so much harder. If she gets a less rigorous standard applied to her does not that reduce what she has accomplished? I am not saying this to make anyone mad or upset, I just am seriously confused about the whole issue.

It is like saying because Justice Thomas is a black man of conservative values, he has accomplished less than if another black man with liberal values appointed to the same seat. I don't see what her sex has to do with her accomplishment other than she probably had a different journey to her position and should be respected for that, but not given a free pass because of it. I don't think one difference has more value than another, unless the value one gives the difference is based on opinion.