1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sunni / Shi'ite

Discussion in 'Issues Around the World' started by ethics, Jun 23, 2014.

1. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

Sunnis:
    Taliban
    Mostly Saudi Arabia (19 911 terrrorists)
    Al-Qaeda
    Etc...

Why am I pointing to this? Shia terrorism is different and it's not as viral as Sunnis. Also because ISIS is Sunni.

Sunni extremists accounted for the greatest number of terrorist attacks and fatalities for the third consecutive year. More than 5,700 incidents were attributed to Sunni extremists, accounting for nearly 56 percent of all attacks and about 70 percent of all fatalities. Among this perpetrator group, al-Qa‘ida (AQ) and its affiliates were responsible for at least 688 attacks that resulted in almost 2,000 deaths, while the Taliban in Afghanistan and Pakistan conducted over 800 attacks that resulted in nearly 1,900 deaths. Secular, political, and anarchist groups were the next largest category of perpetrators, conducting 2,283 attacks with 1,926 fatalities, a drop of 5 percent and 9 percent, respectively, from 2010.

Also, because why the hell are we friends/supporters of these savages? Oil?
    The U.S. Is Supporting the Most Violent Muslim Terrorists In Order to Wage War for Oil

2. Sierra Mike

Sierra Mike The Dude Abides Staff Member

3. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

Too many fingers in existing contracts? Plus does that mean we produce it withOUT fracking?

4. Sierra Mike

I don't know what fracking has to do with it, but I believe we have oilfields in Texas that produce 1,000,000 barrels a day without fracking. It's an interesting question, I'll look into that.

But I think the usual "it's all for OIL!" comment about our interests in the ME are usually more rhetoric than fact. We don't buy the majority of our imports from the Middle East, that comes from Mexico and Canada among others, according to the leftist wonks at NPR. If this is true, and I've heard it repeated many times over from many different sources, then the conventional wisdom is that it's not the oilfields we're interested in directly.

Now, that doesn't mean our allies might not be interested in them, and we might be acting in their stead.

5. Sierra Mike

And in the interest of all things being equal, if we really wanted the oil fields for ourselves, we do have the ability to go in and take them and keep them. The argument that oil is all we care about isn't supported by the facts, in my opinion, because we haven't piled up twenty million bodies to make it so.