1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Summary: Human brain is a very complex entity

Discussion in 'Society and Culture' started by ethics, Nov 18, 2018.

1. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

I don't think this is "normal" type of thinking nor that meditation should go that route. But that's just me.

First of all and this is a serious question: What the flying fuck with all the "anxiety" in our people? Are we so comfortable that our system is triggering shit out of border? Not unlike autoimmune diseases?

Secondly, if you have anxiety like this (or whatever he has) meditation will NOT help you, sir. Sorry.

The Wellness Trend That Can Cause Psychological Damage

2. MemphisMark

MemphisMark Old School Conservative

Thank Ted Turner for most of the anxiety in the US.

Before CNN, in the course of a day we had one paper to read (morning/afternoon depending on where you lived), or twice a day for the "Big City" people with two papers. We had 30 minutes of daily TV news, 30 minutes of national news, another 30 minutes of local news at bed time. We also had the weekly news magazines to cover things more in depth than the TV news could.

Once Headline News hit the scene, you could get your 30 minutes of national news at any time. But then, you started watching more, because a new story might hit when you're not looking. And CNN realized that things got too repetitive with 48 basically unchanged half-hour shows a day. So the talking heads started "analyzing the news," telling us what to think about it.

Then came the whole media panic to be "first with breaking news," and most of the time "first" turned out to be "wrong."

News sells when there is anxiousness, because of our innate "need to be informed." So, for the past 35-40 years, we have been kept on the verge of panic over one thing or the other. The more panic we feel, the more we have to "do something" which means we have to rely on SME's (Subject Matter "Experts").

Social media, with their "short-term dopamine hits" has only accentuated this. I heard the other day, when you pull down on your screen to refresh, it has the same mental stimulation as pulling the handle on a slot machine. Think about that for a moment.

3. ShinyTop

ShinyTop I know what is right or wrong!

I guess we would all be better off before the telegraph. Or maybe before the Pony Express. We have had weeks after elections before the whole country knew the results. We had one war where the peace treaty was signed before the final battle. Its not just the speed of communications, it is all the sources. We don't just have the news outlets, we have Twitter, FB and innumerable podcasts. And we choose what to believe. With most of us that is just whatever reinforces what we already think.

Same stimulation as a slot machine? Sorry, that sounds like somebody just trying to turn the clock back.

4. Biker

Biker Administrator Staff Member

It's hard to say. Could be all the additives we're consuming on a daily basis, pollutants, herbicides and pesticides in our food, etc. Who knows? But mental issues are becoming a huge issue in today's society and as a whole, society is poorly equipped to deal with it.

5. ShinyTop

I won't deny the possibility that additives, etc. are not playing a role. I admit I don't know. But how much more a role could they be playing than all the unhealthy crap people have been putting in the food supply and water for thousands of years. A lot of that has been cleaned up in most of the world so I wonder if they don't cancel out some of the more recent crap.

How do we know that anxiety levels are higher? We ask more questions so we get more answers. On the increased anxiety side we have multiple ways to see that things are better for some. So is anxiety increased or just the awareness that we don't have 6 houses, two jets, and an island in the Caribbean?

Every day we read about heroes that had feet of clay. Every day we find another famous person made monumental fuck ups or got caught in one foul up and are taken down. We see leaders who openly are racist and have no problem with lying to those they lead. We want people to look up to. We want leaders with honor yet we get leaders who piss on our institutions and foment violence and ignorance. Ya, I guess anxiety might be up a notch.

We want to feel safe in our society, yet we seem to be having mass shootings on a weekly basis in clubs, banks, places of worship and in hospitals.

I don't think rising levels of anxiety should be a surprise. Hell, is it any wonder any of are still sane? Or are we?

6. MemphisMark

One thing not talked about today is when this country was founded, about half of the elementary school education was on (nominally Christian) morals. The schools taught morality, integrity, honor and respect as well as Readin', Writin' and 'Rithemic.

Since the 60's, we have tossed the first four (and the last three to some degree) right out of our schools. This "moral relativism" has weakened then destroyed the value of life. There are school shootings because we have young adults who were never taught to respect life, either others or their own. When I was in HS, the Juniors and Seniors would be out in the forests at the crack of dawn, take a deer or a couple ducks, field dress it, drop it off at the processing plant (or their home freezer) and make it to school, with the rifle or shotgun still in the truck's gun rack. It was unthinkable that if they got into it with someone to go and get that firearm. We would exchange words, maybe throw a couple fists, and that is where it ended.

We also have Ted's Legacy. I lived in NE Ohio. I would never have heard of a shooting out of, say, Dallas in 1975 unless Walter Cronkite brought it up. Or if we did, it was no more than a passing mention, a couple column inches in the National News section of the local paper 3-4 days after it happened. Today, if a kid nibbles a Pop-Tart into the shape of a pistol, every network runs multiple stories for 2-4 days, we see memes about it on FB/Instagram/Snapchat, et. al., not to mention the talking heads on the networks and YouTube decrying the event (either or both sides) to advance their agenda. And people will find those videos and memes again and again for as long as those platforms operate.

7. Biker

Biker Administrator Staff Member

Although "pollution" has been a common theme through the centuries, it's only been the last century where we're seeing widespread use of things that were not available previously. Can't help but wonder what it's doing to our bodies.

Problem is, a good chunk of the voting public wants to look up to the wrong people. :banghead-72:

8. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

God I love threads like this. I came in with a certain opinion and gained a few along the way. Thanks guys.

This is why I post. :)

9. ShinyTop

Mark, I have to disagee with you about school being the place for children to learn morals. Teachers and school personnel should all be good moral examples for children to look uo to. But morals have to be taught and lived at home. No lesson plan can teach morals thar are not taught and learned at home by example.

And I strongly, no, vehemently, disagree with any thought that morals can only be taught or learned through religion. First you have to choose which religion, then you have to choose which sect of which religion. Oh, some want only the Good Book taught which begs the question, which version, and which chapters? I have no problem with parents and churches teaching children their version of the above. The Constitution and I have a big problem with public schools teaching religion or even implying that morals can only be taught only though religious laws.

10. MemphisMark

I understand your point and agree, to a certain point.

When I talk about "morals," I mean non-denominational morals as found in the 5th through 10th Commandments. Are these (or similar concepts) morals not taught in every major religion? Are they not the basis of our laws today? I'm moderately sure even Satanists have a moral code that is similar.

- Honor your parents (and by extension elders and everyone else).
    - Thou shalt not :
    -- Murder
    -- Commit Adultery
    -- Steal
    -- Bear false witness (Lie)
    -- Covet your neighbor's possessions.

All of those "shalt not's" are in essence stealing.
    -Murder is to steal another's life.
    -Adultery is to steal another's committed spouse, their happiness, their resources, their children and more
    -Steal is to take their possessions and what they need to survive
    -Lie means you steal the value of their good name and reputation, and even their freedom if they are imprisoned because of your lies.
    -Coveting is the worst of all. It steals your happiness from yourself because you focus on what another has and not on what you have.

Coveting is not wanting a 40" flatscreen just like what your neighbor has, it's wanting your neighbor's flatscreen. When taken to it's logical extreme, coveting leads you to murder, adultery, stealing and lying.

When it comes right down to it, the schools have our children more than we do. And with the "moral relativism" that is taught there today, parents could teach their morals by word and practice every second they are with their kids, and it is all actively undone by the schools.

Leftists win elections because they are Santa Claus. "Vote for us, we'll give you FREE healthcare, FREE college, and on and on..." While Conservatives say, "Be interdependent, work hard, save and earn, use discipline now for freedom later..." How can the Conservative message stand up to Santa Claus and free stuff?

The parents of today have little to no moral foundation because we got away from teaching those things in school. It's a snowball effect both ways. We start teaching more of it today, in 3-4 generations we will have very moral citizens. If they slow/halt the teaching or morals, in 3-4 generations we are back to moral relativism again.