1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Suicide and Happiness

Discussion in 'Society and Culture' started by ethics, Jul 22, 2015.

1. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

Some of the highest suicide rates in the world are found in countries and regions with high rates of self-reported happiness. So either we are bad at measuring happiness, or we are wrong to think of suicide solely as an act of despair — or.... or the data is incomplete.

"Within eastern Europe, the extraordinarily high suicide rates are positively correlated with life evaluation. Much the same is true across the states of the US"

Let me chime in here and say that when I am in Ukraine, these people SEEM to be very happy. Scratch the surface and there's a depression scourge. Same could be said of Americans but Americans are not extreme (out in the open) about their highs and lows. That's really the only difference.

Suicide and happiness | VOX, CEPR’s Policy Portal

2. Greg

Greg Full Member

Jeez, I'm so happy I think I'll kill myself at the peak of my life when my happiness has reached a crescendo.44

No really, this stuff is crazy. People kill themselves when they cannot confront the reality of their futures, or when they have mental disease that renders them not capable of relating the dismal fantasy of their future against the reality that things are not as bad as they think.

As a sufferer of Major Depression Syndrome (per diagnosis by a Psy.D) things looked bleak for me, but I never considered suicide, and in fact I always had a grip that there was a good future ahead of me. And in fact I found that good future, and it was worth the cure.

Allene likes this.
  3. Allene

Allene Registered User

People have different definitions of happiness and different ways of handling problems. I knew nothing about the Suicide Belt here in the United States! Interesting article!