1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Stupid question about xp pro.

Discussion in 'Bits & Bytes' started by Misu, Dec 19, 2002.

1. Misu

Misu Hey, I saw that.

I reformatted and reinstalled everything a few weeks ago - however, I have the upgrade version of XP Pro, so I had to install Win98 first in order to install XP.

When I did the upgrade, I apparantly had a brain fart and didn't upgrade the file system to NTFS - it's working on the old 32bit of Win98. I've noticed my computer being retarded.

So I guess my question is:

Is there ANY WAY POSSIBLE that I can upgrade the file system of my XP Pro install without having to reinstall everything over agian?!?! I REALLY don't want to have to reinstall everything. It's a pain :(

2. Sunriser13

Sunriser13 Knee Deep in Paradise

It can be done, Misu, but will not be quite as efficient as if it were done at the install. There is a conversion tool available from MS to convert FAT32 to NTFS... I'll try to find out more and let you know.

3. midranger4

midranger4 Banned

http://web66.coled.umn.edu/WinNT/CookBook/GettingStarted/Convert/Default.html

This explains the command.

Be aware that some people suffer performance loss AND the volume will not be a *true* NTFS volume as the sectors are smaller on a convert then they would be on a low level format.

I converted and wound up doing a low level format down the road and realized substantial performance gain.

4. dmdvt

dmdvt Guest

Misu,

It has been my experience that <b>OS upgrades do not work</b>. I've been in the computer field since DOS.
    If you can change the partition format, I do not think it is the most effective way.

We do not use OS upgrades here for just that reason. They always have a problem.

Just not worth saving money with OS upgrades.

Sorry to tell you the bad news.

Just what you needed to hear, right.

5. Violet1966

Violet1966 Stand and Deliver Staff Member

Also misu...you might want to look into if you actually have to install 98 to install the xp upgrade. I know with my 98se upgrade to 95, you don't have to install the 95 first. You just put in the 98se disk and it asks for you to insert the 95 disk to validate ownership. It avoids putting all that gunk on that's just gonna get changed anyway. And leaves less of a mess behind. I don't know the answer but I'm sure someone reading this will ;)

6. midranger4

midranger4 Banned

Misu,

What function of NTFS do you seek?

FAT32 will run fine under XP.

7. Domh

Domh Full Member

My suggestion is to reformat the drive.

Its a pain, but will result in a vastly more stable install, less downtime and irritation later on.

8. midranger4

midranger4 Banned

Dmvt...is it me or did your post change ;)

9. midranger4

midranger4 Banned

Why reformat? Why re-install?

Sounds like her system is quite stable. A convert to NTFS will NOT impact stability. It may impact performance slightly but that's about it.

And it sounds like she did a flat install just didn't do the low level format to NTFS...so why re-install????

10. midranger4

midranger4 Banned

Misu,

did you *install WIN98* or simply insert the CD to prove ownership during the XP *upgrade*??

I am presuming you started with an empty HD...is this correct?

11. Domh

Domh Full Member

damn midman - yknow you could put all 3 posts into one if you really want to do so...

;)

12. midranger4

midranger4 Banned

At the risk of getting a thread split I would enjoy debating this statement.

I have three separate machines running ME to XP *upgrades* and two running flat XP installs.

I would challenge anyone to identify any major differences in the machines. From a third party software perspecitve both *breeds* of machine have run with little or no issues.

I support these machines and trust me, if the upgraded machines were demonstrating unusual behavior I would format and load XP from scratch in a heartbeat.

I might add that if you are buying full blown versions of OS's and not the upgrade versions your throwing money away.

An upgrade version is the full blown version but requires you provided proof of ownership of any previous version.

13. midranger4

midranger4 Banned

I hate the edit button ;)

14. Misu

Misu Hey, I saw that.

Whoa, thanks everyone for your replies - i had no idea you guys were so technologically inclined ;)

No, my system isn't stable - it's being really stupid. It wasn't stupid before the format, it was just that i had gotten a virus and my system files were being eaten, so I decided since my HD was full anyway, it was a good excuse to clean up the drive and get rid of stuff I wasn't using any more.

During the reinstall, I messed up and didn't specify NTFS, so it installed as 32bit by default. I am sure that on some systems the 32bit works just fine, but on my hardware, XP and 32bit just don't work - my computer is being sluggish and it's amazing how long it takes to boot up now that it's on the 32bit system.

I installed win98 on a minimum install, as I wasn't aware that the XP system could be installed without an operating system already on the drive. I would like to install XP without any of the old win98 crap - you guys mentioned I could just stick the win98 cd in to prove ownership? How do I do this, this sounds like exactly what I need to do to ensure I don't mess up again.

Thanks everyone :)

15. midranger4

midranger4 Banned

To accomplish what you seek you need to format the HD.

Then to install XP insert the CD during boot time (making sure your CMOS looks to the CD as a boot device).

Once the install begins it will prompt you for a copy of a previous operating system CD. It reads it, then prompts for the XP CD again at which point you can perform the full install.

16. Misu

Misu Hey, I saw that.

You sure that will work with the upgrade?

I will do that - I need to also fix hubby's computer, as it has completely conked out (it was also running on 32bit mode).

17. Sunriser13

Sunriser13 Knee Deep in Paradise

Whew! I just got back to GA; it disappeared from the face of the earth for me after my last post... even a ping said it didn't exist! :(

Looks like you're getting all the advice and more that I was going to give, Misu. Heck, lots more!! :) What I came back with was simply this link to MS explaining conversion:

How to Convert a FAT16 or FAT32 Volume to NTFS in Windows XP

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;en-us;q307881

18. ShinyTop

ShinyTop I know what is right or wrong!

Misu, if you go to install an upgrade it will tell you when to insert the old OS. Good luck!

19. dmdvt

dmdvt Guest

Midranger,

Sorry about the delay. I posted, edited and ran.

I am afraid I spoke too soon. (the reason for the edit)

ME to XP might be pretty well behaved. From what I have seen 98 cannot make the transition to XP. This is not the first instance I have seen.

I don't take chances with OS upgrades, I do not feel it is a waste of money. We do not purchase it when it first comes out.
    I went to XP only because someone around here needs to know it to support our XP customers, since you cannot buy a new machine with 98 or ME anymore.

I'm not sure if this is much of a debate.

Sorry to disappoint you.

:)

20. Techie2000

Techie2000 The crowd would sing:

I'm going to have to agree with dmdvt about upgrades. Your generally better off using your upgrade disk to do a clean install. During the install they will let you insert your old disk and then the clean install will proceed on its merry way.